[Feature Request] Run Hours

Discuss new features and functions

greydawn

Please consider adding a feature to pause or throttle file transfer according to a schedule. A simple implementation would be similar to RoboCopy’s /RH switch – allowing for a range of hours during a 24-hour period to be allocated for file transfers while outside of those hours the sync job is paused.

A better power user solution would be to allow for different schedules according to day of week and to be able to throttle the transfer rate (rather than completely pause it) during certain time periods.

Many thanks for the consideration. You might also consider implementing a bounty system for feature requests.

addilapi

I know this is an old feature request but please consider adding this. I don't think the basic implementation would be that hard... just compare the current time at the beginning of any file copy to a range of allowable hours (could even be in the XML, no need to make a GUI yet).

addilapi

Hi, I would like to bump this up again. I have some network syncs that might takes days or weeks to run and I can't currently use FreeFileSync since it will use the full WAN bandwidth during regular business hours. A simple option to pause data transfer during certain hours would meet my needs.
Site Admin

Zenju

Maybe RunWithBackgroundPriority is what you need.

addilapi

No, specifically I want to be able to set a time period (at night and/or weekends) that FFS uses as much wide area network bandwidth as it can gobble up but during weekdays I want it to pause transfers all together ... and then continue on after the restricted period is over without having to do an entire directory comparison again. Alternatively, at a bare minimum it might be useful to be able to set an end time for a sync even if it isn't complete and have FFS gracefully exit... I could then start the scheduled job again later that day although this is far less efficient due to the time taken to do a directory comparison on several tens of millions of files each time.

Seb

Hello,

I would like to suggest this feature as well.

It's currently very impractical to use over the network because it is using all the bandwidth.

I don't even need a schedule, just being able to give a bandwidth limit would be great.

Thanks