BUG: Starting FreeFileSync.exe from another process yields Error Code 32

Discuss new features and functions

sycophant

start "" "FreeFileSync.exe"Wylie
This works for me. Bug solved.
Thank you Wylie.

eson

Hi guys,

Upgrading to v7.9, this bug suddenly hit me to.

Before I found this thread, I made some research on my own, and found that I was affected only when I have my Windows scheduled FFS operations enabled. As soon as I disable the scheduled operations, the SyMenu launcher works flawless again.

Gianluca's workaround works fine, while waiting for the "real thing". ;)

critternyc

For completeness, it should be called volpoca's solution since he posted it here in January 2015: http://portableapps.com/comment/220608#comment-220608

Not sure why others are taking credit for the approach.

eson

For completeness, it should be called volpoca's solution since he posted it here in January 2015: http://portableapps.com/comment/220608#comment-220608

Not sure why others are taking credit for the approach.critternyc
Well, I was talking about this workaround, and that has very little, or nothing to do with PortableApps.

critternyc

Well, I was talking about this workaround, and that has very little, or nothing to do with PortableApps.eson
It's a simple trick volpoca posted to the PortableApps.com forums back in January 2015. And that pudah already posted within this thread in April of 2015. It's an old approach that doesn't help for every app you'd want to launch it from, especially scheduling utilities. It's now referenced right in the main topic of this thread for those that it might work for. It's just odd that it's being posted about by a couple people a year later as if it's something new created by someone recently.

RedFox

Hello.
I have the same problem. In my system (Windows 7 x64) I solve this by right click on file "FreeFileSync.exe" (need to mention, that it is installed as the portable application on the removeable USB HDD and I run it from this HDD), choose "Properties", then tab - "Compatibility". In this tab "Privilege level" - check mark "Run this program as administrator". After that the batch job task runs normally without Error Code 32.
Hope this helps somebody.

BackupGuru

Hello, I found a solution to the error code 32.
A permanent and 100% working solution. It's a workaround but works great.

I have 5 sync jobs that I run using a Scheduled Batch file.

Here is the batch file

========================
FreeFileSync.exe Job1.ffs_batch
FreeFileSync.exe Job2.ffs_batch
etc
=========================

Instead of using a .bat to .exe file converter, I wrote this AutoHotKey Script

========================================================
; Launch the Batch File

SetWorkingDir, C:\Software\FreeFileSync
Run, "C:\Software\FreeFileSync\ALLSyncJobs.bat"
========================================================

I then converted the AHK script using a AHK to EXE converter.

Don't ask me why, but it works each time.

Best