Can I keep file's date ?

Discuss new features and functions

bulek8

Hi,

I've just realized that FFS modifies file's date to current date when copying
to target. Is this behaviour intentional ?
Can I somehow set to keep the original date ?

I have backup of files from various computers and it is vital, to keep
original date of creation of files - it tells me when it was created on
original computer...

If this is not possible, which version of FFS did this ?

I my case, doing backups with changing dates is quite unusable...

Regards,

Bulek.

bulek8

Hi,

just realized, that file's date is kept, but not for directories...

Can I keep original creation date of directory ?

Regards,
Bulek.
Site Admin

Zenju

> which version of FFS did this

For the record: v3.1 ;) But please don't use this ancient version anymore.

> keep original creation date of directory

Currently seems it's not worth the trouble:
[404, Invalid URL: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3439951&group_id=234430&atid=1093083]

aamvanaken

I really liked FFS´s possibility to keep original time and date. It´s the main reason I work with FFS. I keep installing every new version hoping that the functionality is working again. However, until now, every time I have to uninstall and go back to version 3.18
I don´t understand why such a basic functionality of synchronization is removed!

gareth3

Hi, Is it possible to have feature 'keep original date/time of directory' included (or as a option) please?

gareth3

I don't think this feature is available on other sync software so would be good to have or the option to have.

srjones67

If the feature isn't available on this or any other sync software, there must be a good reason.

gareth3

I can't think of a reason why not. Can anyone else?

johnb_atl

I can't think of a reason why not. Can anyone else?gareth3
Are you saying you cannot think of a reason why the sync software couldn't preserve the directory's creation date, but change only the modification date attached to that directory? (Of course, also changing modification dates for any files updated within the directory.)

Aside from the fact that this slows things down a bit -- which is probably noticeable on deeply nested or broadly fanned directories, but not otherwise -- I'm not sure there is a show-stopping reason one couldn't do so.

johnb_atl

You ought to change the title or repost this as a new thread. Call it "Preserve Directory Creation Dates".

The title "can I keep file's date" is misinformative on several levels. The first thing I thought when I saw it is "some guy doesn't understand how you know which way to sync things." LOL!

srjones67

An why would you want to keep just the folders dates?
Site Admin

Zenju

> The title "can I keep file's date" is misinformative on several levels

I want a dollar for every thread or tracker item that has a misleading subject on more than one level! :D

PS this is probably the 10th discussion about this topic...

gareth3

> The title "can I keep file's date" is misinformative on several levels

I want a dollar for every thread or tracker item that has a misleading subject on more than one level! :D

PS this is probably the 10th discussion about this topic...Zenju
An example where I use folder dates:
- NAS running Twonky server software. ‘Twonky’ is a media server.
- Samsung TV connected to NAS
- I view my photos on the TV by folder date
I have opened a feature request ticket for ‘Retain folder created and modified timestamps when copying’.

vbull

YES, I do need it badly. I've many directories and I sort based on dictectory creation dates. I've intention to merge 3 hard disks into one mega hard disk and I really need to know which directory was created earlier than the other. Please confirm that this feature be incorporated. I read I can use Total Commander + Filecopy to achieve this. But if FFS has it, it's a no brainer.