"Detect Moved Files" - Supported Systems?

Get help for specific problems

fractals

According to the FFS tool-tip, the "Detect Moved Files" feature is "Not supported by all file systems". Could you please advise which file systems are/are not supported? If I do a Mirror sync from a NTFS local hard drive to a FAT32 flash drive, will I be able to fully utilise this feature?

fractals

Thanks for your reply Zenju.

So file movements are not detected when a FAT32 system is in use. I am using a Mirror sync from my local hard drive (NTFS) to my flash drive (FAT32). This would explain why synced files are deleted and recopied again on the destination (instead of just moving on the destination) when the corresponding files are just moved manually on the source.

Not really a problem for me, since for serious backups I always format all drives as NTFS, to eliminate issues like this and DST.
Site Admin

Zenju

>So file movements are not detected when a FAT32

No, it depends. In short: in a NTFS to FAT32 mirror scenario, detection of moved files will work *most of the time*, but not always. For NTFS to NTFS it always works. For FAT32 to FAT32 it sometimes works. Technically it boils down to whether a file system supports *stable* file ids, which NTFS does, but FAT32 does not.

fractals

Thanks for the clarification Zenju.

I really like the ability to detect moved files and deal with them efficiently.