Free File Sync log file incomplete

Get help for specific problems

bsales

I recently ran a File Sync and I was wondering why the log shows only ~600 files when the actual file log reports 3221 Items processed. The log file shows the only 6 seconds of synced files and folders. Is there any way to retrieve the remaining log? Total time is supposedly 1:02. Where did the other 56 seconds go?
Site Admin

Zenju

The size of LastSyncs.log can be configured in GlobalSettings.xml, see:
help file -> Expert Settings: LastSyncsLogSizeMax

fractals

Just curious - what happens when the log file becomes larger than the value specified by LastSyncsLogSizeMax?

1) Is the old log file deleted (either permanently or moved to Recycle Bin), and a new blank log file is created from scratch?

or

2) Is the existing log file kept with newer entries added at the top and oldest at the bottom being discarded?

Also, I think the default size of LastSyncsLogSizeMax should be increased. The default is 100,000 bytes, which is only about 98KB. Therefore, this could easily be exceeded in just a single sync operation if many files and folders are affected.
Site Admin

Zenju

The log file behaves like a ring buffer.

fractals

The log file behaves like a ring buffer.Zenju
Thanks Zenju - that was just what I was hoping for. :-)

bsales

The size of LastSyncs.log can be configured in GlobalSettings.xml, see:
help file -> Expert Settings: LastSyncsLogSizeMaxZenju
Thanks! That helps a lot. But, in the case of an already created log that got truncated... I'm out of luck, correct?
Site Admin

Zenju

Thanks! That helps a lot. But, in the case of an already created log that got truncated... I'm out of luck, correct?bsales
Correct. The lastsyncs.log is just one more safety mechanism in case you accidentally sync and want to determine what has happened after the fact. Since it is always active, the design is for it to have only a minor performance impact rather than be complete but slow every sync down at the end.

If you care for complete log files you should use the "save log file" feature of FFS batch jobs, or - if you use GUI sync, evaluate the results dialog at the end which always contains the full info.