SFTP: support private key authentication

Discuss new features and functions

hnsz2002

Please add sftp support... I need for that to sync my documents to server...

Thank you!
Site Admin

Zenju

riccard0

Please add public/private key authentication to sftp !
Thank you

tsoifun

I use Syncplify.met server but it is not possible to connect to sftp...It does not show in status the user's name.
If I try to use windows explorer then I am able to connect to server.
Solved - forgot to use authentication for SFTP.
Agree with the above - would be nice to have possibility to use pub/pri key authentication as well.

pcause

also would like key based support as my server usses this for login. thanks.

PS: support of pageant type login is a big plus. i think the library you use already can do this.

jmfeist

thanks for the SFTP support, this is great!
however, saving the password in the history in base64 (in LastRun.ffs_gui and GlobalSettings.xml) is an awful security hole.
it would be great to have at least a check box that allows to remove the password from the history. or simply not store the password at all.

fappp

My voice for the private/public key feature, I cannot access my servers without it!

fappp

My voice for the private/public key feature, I cannot access my servers without it!fappp
... any news from Zenju, any hope that public/private key authentication will be implemented in a near future?

It would be very much appreciated!

fappp

... still not implemented in 7.7.

Would be great.

fxshpac

Have been patiently waiting for key auth as well. Can't wait to get rid of base64 encoded password. Please give us some update on this. Keep up the good job.

fappp

... and not in 7.8 too.

Some work colleagues and me need bitterly this function to get rid of our terrible VPN... and we wouldn't like to go back so SyncBack.

@Zenju: could you please tell us if a) this function is on your list for development in a near future and, if yes, b) how the time scale looks like.

Tanks

vargabesz

Please add public/private key auth!
And thanks a lot for your efforts so far!

snoopcat

+ 1 for requesting public/private key authorization support

fappp

... the public/private key feature in SFTP is still not available in 8.0.

And still no feedback if and when it will be implemented.

@Zenju: your feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks
Site Admin

Zenju

There's no ETA yet, but public/private key authentication is a todo for a future version. But first the requirements need to be nailed down, as it seems there are a number of authentication methods and it needs to be decided which ones FFS should support.

SomeCallMeTim

Just rely on native SSH clients on non-Windows and PuTTY/PLink on Windows (plink.exe can act almost like ssh on Linux/Mac), or use sftp/Psftp directly.

There aren't a "number of methods" that way: You just connect to an existing, well-tested client and have it handle the public/private key interaction and the key agent for you.

LapisLazuli

Hi,
Post by riccard0 » 31 Aug 2015, 07:40
Please add public/private key authentication to sftp !
Thank you
+1
:-)
Post by Zenju » 05 Apr 2016, 15:10
[...] But first the requirements need to be nailed down, as it seems there are a number of authentication methods and it needs to be decided which ones FFS should support.
Do you mean RSA, DSA, etc. ? Or something else ? Couldn't a good first step be to implement any first one (eg. RSA), that would at least meet some needs.

In the meantime, may I suggest a workaround ? IAfter various products downloads and trials, I found that the free version of Sftp Net Drive, despite a number of restrictions, would meet the needs. It creates a Z: (or any other letter) on Windows, which points to the remote folder via SSH. FFS can then use this Z: location as any local directory.

Just in case it helps.

And again, congratulations : FFS does perfectly the job, even better (multiple folder pairs sync, real time sync), than the commercial version of another product I was using previously.

Best regards.
Site Admin

Zenju

Does support for PEM or PPK private key + password suffice?
Site Admin

Zenju

I've added support for authentication via OpenSSL PEM private keys:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zkfs9bczqn4ib03/FreeFileSync_8.6_beta_Windows_Setup.exe

snoopcat

This is great Zenju, I can't wait to try it out. I was looking for private key plus password. Thanks!

fappp

Great, thank you Zenju.

I just tested it and it works well. For a sync of about 45'000 files over a 6Mbps/6Mbps link, the file comparison was 20 times faster using SFPT than my VPN!

Regards
Patrick

LapisLazuli

Hi,
I've added support for authentication via OpenSSL PEM private keys:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zkfs9bczqn4ib03/FreeFileSync_8.6_beta_Windows_Setup.exeZenju
I'm just reading - with delight :) - this post.

Unfortunately, the link is not active any more.

When do you plan to release the 8.6? I'm eager to use the feature!

Thanks and regards.

LapisLazuli

Hi Zenju,

Congratulations, I've just downloaded V8.6. Private keys SFTP works fine. Almost 100 times faster than the workaround I was using!

Thanks a lot for this great job!

dandimat

FFS is a very great tool.

Anyway in my opinion is important hiding the password from the configuration file.

I use FFS to synch a bunch of production servers. I don't like saving passwords, keys or passphrases locally.

I'd like simply writing the password on the fly, or a reasonably simple way to remove the password or the passphrase from FFS files.

Is there a way to do it?

Thanks again.
Site Admin

Zenju

I'd like simply writing the password on the fly, or a reasonably simple way to remove the password or the passphrase from FFS files. dandimat
You can use the standard FTP syntax with FreeFileSync, i.e.
sftp://username:password@yourserver.com/foldername|keyfile=c:\mykeyfile
and enter the password directly into the folder input field before starting sync.

Ralpho

Dear Zenju,

also from my side thank you for the great job and great software FFS!

I am using already the sftp sync for my privat server but on our business side we are using sftp access via shared keys. The key is provided via putty and is a ssh-dss 1024 key. Would it be possible to integrate this quite common way of authentication of sftp server?

Would be perfect for us and was already asked some posts above...

mopani

Having private key authentication via Pageant would be most helpful.

Since I use PuTTY, the private key doesn't appear to work with FFS. I *think* that the agent forwarding is standard (based on my reading of the PuTTY manual), just not the key storage format.

Working with Pageant and OpenSSH Agent would make for a secure solution, since individual public keys can be restricted on the server to certain actions (unlike a common username/pw login), and FFS would not need to store the private key password.

For what its worth, the PuTTY authors strongly recommend only using RSA keys; DSS/DSA keys have an inherent weakness which *might* allow a signature to give away the private key. (PuTTY manual section 8.2.2)

Ralpho

May I please repeat this wish, mopani brought it to the point. This would be such a mandatory feature and it would be great if you can include it.

Software like https://winscp.net/ are using this authentication method and it is secure and easy to use.
Site Admin

Zenju

I've added Pageant support! Let me know in case there are any issues:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/y9dg473jpmxpv31/FreeFileSync_9.2_beta_Windows_Setup.exe