File sync using date/size

Discuss new features and functions

konics

I have an issue with the date/size option for file syncing using a batch job. The problem arises when my scheduled batch job executes and in Folder 1 data is being written but isn't locked from reading during that operation.
FreeFileSync does the comparison and finds that the new file exists in Folder 1, but not in Folder 2 and copies the partially written file.
When the same batch job is executed the next time, the partial file has the exact same date in Folder 2 as in Folder 1, but is smaller. This does not trigger a new sync of the file.
Is this intended or a bug?
Site Admin

Zenju

> the partial file has the exact same date in Folder 2 as in Folder 1, but is smaller. This does not > trigger a new sync of the file
But this should trigger a conflict (same date, different size)! Even in batch mode you'll be notified by a warning message that conflicts are existing. To resolve them you need to synchronize in GUI-mode.

-Zenju

konics

> the partial file has the exact same date in Folder 2 as in Folder 1, but is smaller. This does not > trigger a new sync of the file
But this should trigger a conflict (same date, different size)! Even in batch mode you'll be notified by a warning message that conflicts are existing. To resolve them you need to synchronize in GUI-mode.

-ZenjuZenju
I see. Currently I ignore any errors since the program is to be run in silent mode and should not be noticeable to the users of the computer.
Is there some way to get around this in silent mode? For example always overwrite files in Folder 2 if a conflict occurs.
Site Admin

Zenju

Currently conflicts cannot be resolved automatically, because it's not clear which direction the files should copy (two-way-sync). In your case, it seems you do a one-way sync, so it's reasonable to copy conflics always the same way. Thinking about it I think I should make a default direction configurable even for conflicts, analog to the other sync-settings, since especially "same date, different size" seems to occur quite frequently. I'll put this feature request on the todo for v2.3.

-Zenju
Site Admin

Zenju

I have an issue with the date/size option for file syncing using a batch job. The problem arises when my scheduled batch job executes and in Folder 1 data is being written but isn't locked from reading during that operation.
FreeFileSync does the comparison and finds that the new file exists in Folder 1, but not in Folder 2 and copies the partially written file.
When the same batch job is executed the next time, the partial file has the exact same date in Folder 2 as in Folder 1, but is smaller. This does not trigger a new sync of the file.
Is this intended or a bug?konics
Feature request implemented in v2.3 RC.

Regards, Zenju

konics

Is this intended or a bug?konics
Thank you for that, I look forward to v2.3.