FFS doesn't remember NAS login info in Win8.1

Get help for specific problems

kingedward3753

I have a problem with FFS since installation on my new laptop.
It runs Win8.1. I use it to keep files on two laptops, two portable drives, & a FreeNAS server in sync. syncing to the portable drives is not a problem, but syncing to FreeNAS has become one. When FFS runs the first time after a boot up, it asks for the FreeNAS login for every sub folder I'm syncing. If I take the time to login umpteen times, it will run fine until the next reboot. I can access the FreeNAS server via windows explorer and almost any other app without issue, although there is one other program that will not let me open/save to FreeNAS directly, it simply doesn't show up in the directory tree.
The other laptop is a Win7 machine I've had a long time. It has never had an issue until I chose to update FFS on it when I installed it on my new laptop, so they'd match. Now it exhibits the same symptom. There is issue with the security on win8.1, but I think this is partly an FFS issue because it happened on my working Win7 machine after updating FFS.
Any help would be appreciated.
Site Admin

Zenju

What version of FFS are you using now and which version did you use when it "worked"? Can you show screenshots of your scenario or even provide steps to reproduce the issue?

kingedward3753

The current version is 6.7
The previous version was either 6.4 or 6.5
I am sending Win8.1 screenshots of the program progression through the problem.
I moved the PopUps such that you can see all of them.
Thanks for your help.
Attachments
FFS-ScanBegins.jpg
FFS-ScanBegins.jpg (161.08 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
FFS-PopUps.jpg
FFS-PopUps.jpg (186.94 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
FFS-1.jpg
FFS-1.jpg (185.34 KiB) Viewed 1929 times

kingedward3753

After I login to each window, regardless of whether I check the 'remember me' box or not, then select 'retry' the scan will run normally. If I close and reopen FFS, it will run normally, no login required. If I reboot the laptop, then I will need to login again.
The same explanation applies to my Win7 machine.

Plerry

It seems you might have a problem with the persistence of your stored credentials.
If so, it is not a FFS issue, but a Windows issue.
In the Windows Credential Manager the persistence should show as "Enterprise" and not as "Logon Session".
This is or can be linked to the Group Policy applicable to your laptop.
See e.g.: http://www.gadgetgrill.com.au/2009/11/19/windows-7-fixing-the-mapped-drive-credentials-problem/
Also see: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/ef9b42b2-5695-4ac4-8aea-745aa532b981/windows-7-forgets-mapped-drive-credentials?forum=w7itpronetworking

kingedward3753

I've had numerous issues with my software and Win8.1's new security stuff.
I've had to modify the 'security' in order to access/copy/modify files that I've never had issue with before. Your reply fits nicely with these experiences. FFS simply isn't being allowed to function as it did before. Perhaps the installation trigger it, but I don't understand why my Win7 machine did the same thing at the time of upgrade...hence the message.
Thanks so much for your help. I'll look at your links and see if I can resolve the problem and post back here with the results.
Site Admin

Zenju

The "multiple credentials dialog" issue is definitively a FFS problem and I will see to find a solution. But first can you do a few tests and tell me the results, to make sure I'm fixing the right thing:

1. reboot PC, start FFS and start sync. cancel all Windows credentials dialogs. Is sync possible?

2. reboot PC, start FFS and start sync. Enter only the first and cancel all other Windows credentials dialogs. Then press "retry". Is sync possible? If yes: restart FFS, and start sync again. Are you shown any credentials dialogs now?

kingedward3753

In answer to your questions...
#1 if I cancel all windows credentials, the sync acts like it is running, but it will not complete the 'compare' step without asking for credentials again.
#2 If I enter the first and cancel the rest, it will not complete the compare without asking for the other credentials again. I'm not sure what would happen if I hit 'sync', I didn't try that.

BUT, for the Win8.1 machine, Credentials Manager info from your 2nd link was the fix.
The Login for my FreeNAS server was located in two places, one for windows programs and one for something labeled 'generic'. I re-entered the password in both locations and FFS took off perfectly. I will check the Win7 machine for similar and post back later.
This, of course, fixed by batch file sync as well.
Thanks
Site Admin

Zenju

> #1

Does the compare step finish successfully and lists all the files from the network share?

> #2

Dito. Does the compare step list the files?

Windows network share management is finicky at best, so I need to make sure there is no problem that is caused by FFS itself.

kingedward3753

First of all, sorry about the big font. I have no idea where that came from...LOL.
I will try to remember, but when I get the error I close the windows and the scan doesn't proceed at all. It seems to me that if I choose 'ignore' it will begin a scan and list files from the one 'popup' that I logged into, but I'm sure that the 'popups' come up again...
This is from memory and should not be trusted, you know how memory is...
Now that I have applied the fix from your link, both laptops are working great, so although the problem occurred when I updated, it may have been coincidence.
I would need to 'break' it in order to recreate the problem and repeat the test in order to definitively answer your questions. I am not sure how to 'break' the Credential Manager and simulate the exact conditions of the original problem.
I am sorry...but you're link fixed my issue.
I am glad to help you however. How would you like me to test? Are there some logs somewhere I can send?