Feature request: use relative paths for a selected main path

Discuss new features and functions

ferblaha

It would be a really usefull addon if for each panel we could select a main path, and then work with relative paths to this one selected.
IE., if you have a sftp server with a numeric ip, and you want to sync different folders, you have to change the ip address in each one... but if you could select one main path, you only have to change it once.

Thanks Zenju, great work as always.
Regards
Fernando
Site Admin

Zenju

Just to understand the feature request: Why do you need to change the ip for each folder?

ferblaha

See this example: one sync job, that syncs these two pairs:

E:\folder1 <-> sftp://192.168.1.100/folders/1
E:\folder2 <-> sftp://192.168.1.100/folders/2

In the example I use sftp, but it applies also to any other media, like:

E:\folder1 <-> N:\folders\1
E:\folder2 <-> N:\folders\2

What I'm saying, it would be I think very handy if we can do something like:

Path 1: E:\ Path 2: sftp://192.168.1.100/folders/
folder1 <-> 1
folder2 <-> 2

And in that job, it would be very easy to change destination or source medias, as long as it conserves the folder path structure.

I hope I was clear, I'm a little sleepy... haha

Thank you Zenju,
Regards
Fernando

wm-sf

do the sync'd folders actually have different names or was that just to explain?
i.e. are you really syncing a file called ABC.txt between two directories with different names? Why are the folders not the same name?

ferblaha

I use ffs to sync the same data, N folder pairs, between more than two different locations. Then, what I have is a project where I sync the folder pairs between my computer (E:\) and my external drive (external\). I have another ffs project, where I sync the same data, but between my computer and my NAS drive via SFTP (sftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/data/). And I have another project, where I sync the same data, but between my computer and a backup server (//xxxxx/xxx/backup/)...

Thats the whole idea. Right now, when I have to add, remove or change something that I want to sync/backup, I have to update all the different projects. And the only difference between the projects is the destination and/or source @root folder@.

wm-sf

do you know (it is hard to explain so isn't discussed much) you can do stuff in the batch files that can achieve most of this?

since you seem an intelligent person I am going to challenge you to work it out yourself. mainly, I think you are the creator of your own problem. FFS does not do 3 way diffs naturally, since that is what you want ... go elsewhere or think again :)

P.S. almost all 3+ way syncs involve precedence, you describe yours incompletely

ferblaha

Thanks WM, I know I'm describing the my usage incompletely... I'm not posting a problem I'm having or a malfunction of FFS. The example I posted is just to serve as an example of what I mean, not other thing. Its an idea, a suggestion, of an addon that I think it could be useful.

Plerry

Did you try using multiple folder pairs in one and the same "project"?
Don't know about the sftp-part, but:
Pair 1: (A) E:\ and (B) external
Pair 2: (A) E:\ and (B) backup server (//xxxxx/xxx/backup/)
works for sure. And then you might try to add:
Pair 3: (A) E:\ and (B) sftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/data/
You then have global include and exclude filters and sync methods for all A-B pairs
but can still define A-B pair specific (delta) filters and methods if you want to.

ferblaha

Hi Plerry, thanks for your colaboration.
I'm currently (long time ago) using it and it works, I think my original post was misunderstood. I have no problems. Thanks anyway to all of you.

I'm making a suggestion. Take it or not, maybe its interesting just for me, and not worth.
Regards to all,
Fernando