Feature Request - Scheduler

Discuss new features and functions

protocorp77

hi first of all i love the software i used to use karen's replicator which was great but unfortunately she passed away so obviously development stopped on that so i came across this software whilst looking for an alternative and it has been great the only thing i miss though is an

built-in scheduler i have mine currently setup in task scheduler but was a little more difficult than needed i was wondering if it was possible for you to implement a backup scheduler in future versions i can then simply leave freefilesync running on my service and it can perform backups all through the one program

grobbla

Hi Matt,

please excuse me for tuning in here and saying: I do not like this idea.
Let one tool do one job perfectly, do not integrate everything into every tool.
There are a lot of schedule tools out there for your timed jobs. I prefer distinct tools for distinct jobs. This gives you the freedom to change just one tool, if you feel the need for another function/interface/... for a particular thing to achieve.

In regard to FFS, you could use RealtimeSync and set the idle timer to a big value, if this fits your needs.

adelino_araujo

C:\Users\lulide\Desktop\FFS_Y_to_M>type batch_Y_to_M.bat
rem Return Codes
rem 0 - Synchronization completed successfully
rem 1 - Synchronization completed with warnings
rem 2 - Synchronization completed with errors
rem 3 - Synchronization was aborted
rem
rasdial dialup1 username password
rem
"C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe" "C:\Users\lulide\Desktop\FFS_Y_to_M\Y_to_M.ffs_batch"
if errorlevel 1 (
::if return code is 1 or greater, something went wrong, add special treatment here
echo WARN: Errors occurred during synchronization...
pause
)

Above is my batch file to open a vpn and then sync data to my server. Since this is a batch file, it is very easy to schedule in Windows and every day you can revise the log for errors.

jonrichco

hi first of all i love the software i used to use karen's replicator which was great but unfortunately she passed away so obviously development stopped on that so i came across this software whilst looking for an alternative and it has been great the only thing i miss though is an

built-in scheduler i have mine currently setup in task scheduler but was a little more difficult than needed i was wondering if it was possible for you to implement a backup scheduler in future versions i can then simply leave freefilesync running on my service and it can perform backups all through the one programprotocorp77
Hi Matt. You say task scheduler is difficult. I think it is pretty easy by creating a bat file which runs a batch job created by FFS, then scheduling the bat file to run at a given time. It is described under "Schedule a Batch Job" in FFS help. However, I agree that a built-in scheduler would be easier for users.

srjones67

I'd rather see Zenju spend time making FFS sync functions better instead of adding something that already has a solution in windows

xenon2000

While I too would rather see development focus elsewhere. Given that I am already familiar with Windows scheduling. Yet there are plenty of examples out there where BOTH options are in the solution. So I am all for this feature request. It would be helpful to some people to have the option of simply scheduling from within the FFS GUI. While still retaining the Save Batch File for those that still want to use Windows Scheduling and custom batch jobs.

Certainly doesn't hurt to have both, other than the time it takes away from other development. But this forum isn't a place to control the author's dev priorities. So that isn't the point. I like this feature request.

srjones67

There a other schedulers out there. I believe this would be a whole product unto itself and a waste of Zenju's time.