Reordering the pairs that FFS does in synchronization

Discuss new features and functions

bytehead

I am guessing, but if I need to change the order of a set of syncs, I can just move the XML FolderPairs around to get what I want. I need to move a couple of them so that they execute early, otherwise right now to do a complete sync, I have to do it twice. A way to move them around in the program would be nice, but if I have to hack the .ffs_gui, then I hack the .ffs_gui.
Site Admin

Zenju

Yes, editting the xml is fine. A better solution would be some GUI support for reordering.

> that they execute early, otherwise right now to do a complete sync

Why is the order of folder pairs important in your scenario?

bytehead

Originally, I thought that I was moving some files to destination directories after those directories had already been synced to their final backup location.

What is actually going on after I watched things on another go of it to look at what hacking of the file I needed to do, I actually have the correct sequence already. The problem is, after doing a compare, the sync of the changed files don't get moved to their final backup location because the results of the compare are no longer valid.

I'm too used to SyncToy used in a batch file that only does one pair at a time. Since FFS does it all in one batch operation, it doesn't catch the new changes that it itself have made. Duh!

My real answer to this problem is to make two different runs of FFS. Now that I've figured out how to do batch runs, it will be trivial to split the two apart. One sync will be to make sure that my source files get copied into Dropbox, SkyDrive and Google Drive, which isn't necessarily a backup, I would call that an update. And then a FFS sync backup that copies everything I want on to my external drive, including the Dropbox, SkyDrive and Google Drive caches. And yes, that has been quite handy to do it that way.

Thanks for your response.
Site Admin

Zenju

> it doesn't catch the new changes that it itself have made. Duh!

Exactly, this is due to the model of "first compare everything", then "sync everything". Using two batch jobs one after the other is the right solution to handle dependencies between folder pairs. Using multiple folder pairs in FFS generally only makes sense when all pairs are independent.
FFS should show a warning message if the users accidentaly has dependencies that are problematic. Not all of them are: Having multiple mirror syncs each with the same source folder is fine: the folder pairs have a read-only dependency for the source folder, consequently FFS will not show the warning.

thomaslandauer

I'd also like to have a GUI-feature to move the directory pairs up and down. For me, this is for two reasons:

* When visually checking what's included in this job, I'd like to see the important stuff first. Now, the latest added directory (which is probably the least important ;-) comes first.
* I'm guessing that the actual copying is done in the order in which the directories are displayed? So if (for whatever reason) the job can't be completed or is stopped by the user, it would be better to have the important stuff covered.

Thanks!

gdhm

1) I too would like have a GUI-feature to move the directory pairs up and down.
The reason being that in one of my configurations. I have 10 pairs. Some are from the same partition or initial root (i.e. C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\...., some are not.

In recent months I have added new pairs but I want to be able to EASILY group them by moving pairs up and down so that it is much clearer what is in the config.
Its not helpful having first 2 pairs for example using C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\....
then pairs 3 and 4 pairs from a totally different source folders and then pair 5 & 9 are from C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\.... again.

Currently, I either leave them as I added the pairs or I remake the config by cutting and pasting. HOWEVER, the ability to move pairs up and down would be wonderful and make life much easier. ADDITIONALLY with that feature, there is NO risk of a "cut and paste" error creeping in.

2) I would also like to know if there is an official FFS order on which pair(s) are processed in a config. I currently have not assumed an order TO PLAY SAFE and consequently have numbered my configs so I can process them manually in a specific order to ensure that certain ones are run before others
(I do not use batch files as I wish to watch what each sync does, a luxury of my set up being a home computer where syncs are quick and small)

IF there is a specific order, that NEVER changes in any scenario, then I could reduce my number of separate config.

Thanks
Site Admin

Zenju

> GUI-feature to move the directory pairs up and down.

Todo for a future FreeFileSync version.

> specific order

It's top to bottom as entered on the main dialog.

gdhm

Terrific and Thanks Zenju :)
Site Admin

Zenju

Support for reordering the folder pairs has been implemented! Here's the new version for testing:

[404, Invalid URL: https://freefilesync.org/FreeFileSync_6.14_beta_Windows_Setup.exe]

gdhm

Hi Zenju,

Sorry only just noticed your post (that will teach me to remember to tick the M box.

Seems to work great and as i wanted after one sync test
2 (nitpicking) observations

i) I would have the context menu that pops up when clicking up down button with a slightly different order

Move up
Move down
---------
Add folder pairs

I like the Add folder pairs option which inserts the new line immediately above the button that is clicked NICE!

ii) The Up/Down button Icon IF Possible I feel would be more accurate with up and down triangles (see attachment)

As I said both are nitpicking
Attachments
Up-Down Icon.jpg
Up-Down Icon.jpg (867 Bytes) Viewed 1730 times