Hint for the Scheduling feature

Discuss new features and functions

natraj_

Hi there,

I´m someone who like´s the idea of using a product intuitively and I often read manuals only when I need to read them (maybe like a few other users). I`ve thoughouly examined the FreeFileSync UI / Software by clicking through the menus and came to the conclusion that there is no scheduling feature in there. Today I was surprise to discover that there is indeed a possibility to schedule sync jobs and its a quite good one.
I think it could be helpful to some of the "lazy" , non manuals reading people out there (who are like me :-) ), if you would place a meaningful hint for them in the UI. I would not really consider "save as a batchjob" as meaningful when one looks for a scheduling feature. So my idea would be a menu item or "dummy" button in order to make it obvious that scheduling is possible. Maybe just a shot info that scheduling is possible and described in the manual or so.

Cheers,
Hermann

srjones67

Scheduling is not built into FFS. If you want to schedule a Sync just create the command line execution and schedule it in the windows task scheduler. "Lazy" and "Dummy" is no way to go through life. ;)

natraj_

well, do you really think that the majority of the users read the whole manual before using the product?
In my experience often the manual is only read when something is not working or one wants to know how a specific feature works.
Now I know how to schedule a sync job,thanks. I just wanted to help other users to discover this feature as well through my suggestion.
Site Admin

Zenju

> examined the FreeFileSync UI [...] conclusion that there is no scheduling feature in there.

I'm not sure what went wrong here from a usability point of view. But the design idea is: You see the "create batch job" either in menu or main dialog, realize "this is something that can automate syncs for me". Then click it. Then read the main description on the popup dialog which hints that you can schedule it by simply passing the .ffs_batch as first command argument. If this is puzzling, maybe you would then click the help button right next to this text which opens the corresponding help file chapter that explains in detail how to do it.
I *think* this is pretty solid design of progressive disclosure, but being the developer, it's easy to miss something. Let me know if there is a gap in the reasoning above.

jonrichco

I think this or something like it would be a good idea. It took me a couple of years to work out how to schedule, and I am a reasonably competent computer user.

natraj_

Zenju, I think the design idea is good except that the symbol for the batch job in the GUI is not really meaningful to me. Also I´d assume that the term "batch-job" is something that a few rather non-technical users would have problems to interpret.
I think when I first started FFS, I´ve noticed that button but neglected it because I couldn´t make the connection right away to scheduling and I didn´t need the function at the beginning anyways. Then I´ve forgot about it because it was not relevant to me at that time.

What about changing the icon to a clock symbol (standard symbol for scheduling) and also update the description of the button (the mouse over function) with mentioning at least the word "scheduling" in some way?

addional idea: The scheduling function is popular. Why not adding a menu item (e.g. "batch jobs and scheduling") in "advanced" ?
I know that FFS doesn´t have scheduling capabilities, but I guess the user will find out as soon as the button is pushed.

BTW. I´ve also just noticed another useful function of FFS which I didn´t notice before. The Realtimesync. I would have also appreciated a reference about it in the main FFS GUI.

srjones67

Changing it to a click would not be logical as this isn't a scheduling feature but a batch job that can be run from the command Line or through an external scheduler.
Site Admin

Zenju

The batch icon is a combination of a command prompt and the upper part of the FFS logo, which should convey that this is FFS in combination with something that runs on command line, or is scripted, in a way automatic. It is not supposed to mean scheduling, which is a different thing as srjones mentioned. There is only a problem with this particular icon if it fails to depict its meaning as a batch job, which in my eyes it does well. If not I'd be interested to see better proposals - good icon design is hard.

So what's potentially unsolved are discoverability issues:
1. find out that FFS can sync "automatically"
2. find out that FFS jobs can be scheduled (by Windows task planner)
3. find out that FFS supports real time synchronization

In a well-designed application there should be enough bread crumbs to find your way through its functionality, but not too many. For the points above we find:

1. The "save as batch job" menu item and icon on main dialog next to the save/open buttons
2. Only implicitly discoverable by users who know that every batch job can be scheduled with windows task planner. Then described on the save batch job dialog.
3. The local FFS installation creates a RTS shortcut link in the start menu.

Additionally all three cases are described in the help file.

So, the question is how to improve discoverability - if needed - without cluttering the GUI with non-essential buttons etc. Not an easy task.

natraj_

since I´m not a developer I don´t know if I would have a good answer to your questions. I guess you´d have to decide what too much and what is just right.
Maybe you can leave aside the button story and put a menu item in "advanced"?
There are only 3 entries there.
The other suggestion was to extend the description of the batch-job icon (the mouse over function).

all I can say is that I had a hard finding these functions (incl. RTS). you know, when during installation a symbol is created on the desktop, I can´t see the need to go to start - programs. That´s why I overlooked it. I don´t know if I´m the only one not getting it, but apparently in this Forum thread there is at least someone else with similar problems.

bright5

Scheduling should be built-in into this application. This is the major obstacle for novice users (or any users actually). Look how FBackup solved that.

srjones67

Why is this a major obstacle? I've used this from day one via windows scheduler and it runs perfectly.