move rather then copy

Get help for specific problems

zivizivi

hello

im using custom mode similar to mirror mode to copy files between network. using RealtimeSync all works fine. but the thing is i do need to delete the source folder files after some time.

is there a way to move the files with the freefilesync rather then copying to help me save time? i can just mirror the files and then schedule a batch file to delete the files but thats not a neat solution. i was using some silly batch scripts for all my needs before but i wanna use freefilesync and RealTimeSync from now on if its possible.

thanks in advance

zivizivi

the need is automated file move when the target device is available. since my nas and external disks are randomly available; moving data to nas manually or at a scheduled time stinks to be honest.

im in search of a better way to automise the processes. if i cant use freefilesync for this job im open to suggestions : )
Site Admin

Zenju

"Move" is not a first-class citizen, but can be emulated in FreeFileSync: When files from A need to be moved to B, two folder pairs should do:

1. sync A -> B
2. sync `<empty folder>` to A

zivizivi

yea i know i use it rarely for sync needs mostly but wanted to give it a try with the move as well

allright its a clever trick ill simulate it right away thank you

but still can i make it a future request note here it should make things easier for a lot of ppl if they could be able to switch in settings copy delete do nothing and "move" as a bonus : )

zivizivi

ok it works fine after changing first source folder to "do nothing" on right side only settings and the dummy empty second folders sync settings to "delete right item"

its silly and confusing at first needed practice and simulation but it works. i still think its risky for majority of users tho. it would be so much safer if they had move option in sync settings or they may lose data trying to work it out.

if anyone like me out there needs this pls try first with trial folders simulate right side and left side data changes and change ur settings as needed or YOU WILL LOSE DATA

1 sync A -> B
2 sync <empty folder> to A

this method alone is a disaster ticket! u must change sync settings in the jobs simulate first... better be safe then sorry

after my warning i thank you for fast response and a quick fix have a nice day Zenju

natraj_

I would also vote for an option to move data from A to B (i.e. 1. copy data to B, then delete source files from A).
In my syncronisation with the suggested workaround I do get a warning message in the log-file because I sync FROM A in the first folder-pair and then TO A in the second folder pair. The suggested option would also eliminate this warning.
The Android app foldersync has this feature and it works great.

In any case, Zenju I'm still very gratefull for the trick you posted. Thanks.

rosendorn81

1 sync A -> B
2 sync <empty folder> to A

might not be appropriate for filtered syncs, because think of synchronizing only JPEG files, all remaining PNG files may be lost in folder A.

xCSxXenon

then change the include filter of the empty sync

rosendorn81

Even for arbitrary and not determined, random file formats?

xCSxXenon

No? Change it to only include what is included in the real sync. If the goal is to delete the source files from the sync, then set the include/exclude filters the same for both the sync and the empty config