Backup Speed Slows Down when Minimized to Notification Area

Discuss new features and functions

spnsir

I'm finding that my backup speed slows down when I minimize FFS to the notification area.

Using Mac 10.10.5.
FFS v7.9
Backing up from one external 5900 RPM drive to another external 5900 RPM drive both over USB 3.

Scenario:
I observe backup speed at 140 MB/sec. Speed stays consistent for 1 minute (just watching to see if there are fluctuations in the speed). I then click the down arrow button to minimize FFS to the notification area. Then I wait 10 seconds and click the FFS icon and select RESTORE and the backup speed is around 115 MB/sec. Once restored, speed jumps back up to 140 MB/sec after a few seconds.

Question:
Is the speed slower in the background or is it just slower when restoring FFS from the notification area?
Site Admin

Zenju

When FFS is minimized to the OS X notification area its process type is changed to background processing mode in order to hide the dock icon. On OS X this seems to have the unintended (at least from FFS's perspective) side effect of also lowering the resource priorities of the process.

spnsir

Thanks for explaining Zenju. I will minimize the windows to the dock instead, it seems to keep the same speed. :) Thank you