Version 8.0 does not work on Windows XP

Get help for specific problems

petr.kopecek

I have two machines with both 32 and 64bit versions of Windows XP.
When FreeFileSync v8.0 came out, I realized that every attempt to run it on these machines ends with "Consistency check failed" error.
The FreeFileSync installation itself is 100% defects free, because it's working perfectly on another system with Windows 7. It doesn't matter if I install it directly on Windows XP, or do it on Windows 7 and move the (portable) installation to the XP computers.

I do not dare to ask to hunt down this bug, because my XP installations are not standard and I don't know what components and functions the "Consistency check" depends on.
However I'd like to compile my own version of FreeFileSync, with "consistency" and "new version" checks removed.

Zenyu, please, can You add some Readme.txt to the sources, briefly describing the tools required for compilation and the compilation itself?
Thanks...
Attachments
execution error.jpg
execution error.jpg (148.64 KiB) Viewed 3680 times
Site Admin

Zenju

This may be a FreeFileSync issue. Can you check with the following version and see if it works?
http://www.mediafire.com/download/i4sopx4zxl0j3a7/FreeFileSync_8.0_beta_Windows_Setup.exe

petr.kopecek

Thanks, Zenyu, for the response.
I have tested that beta version and the result is the same. Only the check fails at different file - install.dat.
Attachments
execution error 2.jpg
execution error 2.jpg (52.87 KiB) Viewed 3460 times

compurich

I have also found that I get the same error on Windows 7. I installed the 'portable version' using Windows 10 and there are no problems. My Windows 7 machine is locked down (I am not an administrator) and it keeps bringing up the 'consistency check' error for install.dat. I have tried loading the Win_32, x64 and XP versions, all of which bring up the same error.
Site Admin

Zenju

Can you try to share the FFS installation folder from Windows 10 and try to start it from XP rather than copy?

superdml

This consistency check makes the program no longer an option for me. I will have to use a previous version until I find something else. I would considering making a donation but there is no guarantee that you would maintain a fix for portable versions. As one person, I typically use 5 or more different computers every day and I keep a suite of portable apps I copy to each one. This is no longer portable at all because it will not run even from an external harddrive on two different computers. If you make it obvious that this is fixed I will consider upgrading and donating.

bustachili

The consistency check was relaxed in v8.1. Try again with the latest version. See my experience similar to your's in this post: viewtopic.php?t=2482

petr.kopecek

Latest version, 8.4, installs itself and works perfectly on Windows XP. Thank You, Zenju!