Question: Installation Without Windows Admin Privilege?

Get help for specific problems

bustachili

Is it possible to install FreeFileSync without Windows Admin privilege? I have a business laptop and my user account does not have administrator privilege. When I try to run the setup program, I am prompted by Windows UAC to enter an administrator password. Is it possible to unzip the files to a custom directory, e.g. portable install?

Any help would be much appreciated.

zlhnxqgf

Install it in portable mode on a different system (since 8.0 it will be bound to the installed system so use 7.9) or extract it with InnoUnp (8.0 won't work that way).
Site Admin

Zenju

since 8.0 it will be bound to the installed systemzlhnxqgf
This rule will be relaxed again with 8.1 (release later today) to allow copying and using the portable version on systems other than the one where the installation occured and without having to install on a usb stick.

zlhnxqgf

Great news, thanks!

bustachili

I'm reporting back that this now mostly works. I donated and downloaded v8.1. I installed it on my home machine in "portable" mode. I then copied the install directory to a flash drive and copied to my work computer. FFS runs perfectly well now on my home and work computers without having to run the installer separately on my work computer.

I said it "mostly" works because you still need to first run the installer on a machine on which you have Administrator privilege. As far as I know, it is not possible to run the installer without Admin privilege. Assuming you choose the "portable" install you can copy and run FFS to a machine for which you don't have Administrator privilege. Hope this helps others.