v8.1 is much faster and better

Discuss new features and functions

vsrawat

Had been using your software for some 6 months, and I am finding it very useful.

recently updated to v8.1 and I find it is much faster and better than ever before.

some issues:
1. after we have synchronized or compared one set of right and left folders, if we select another set of folder, it doesn't proceed to compare/ sync. We have to exit the program and restart it, only then it proceeds.

This bottleneck should not be there.

2. I accidently removed default filter, and then I was at a loss as to what the filter was. My next run was showing differences to the tune of 31 GB in 100 GB partition on a partition that was just sync mirrored. Then I say the differences and made out that recycle bin and system volume information need to be filtered out, which I added manually, then it did show perfect match.

Please give option to add "default" filters" to help newbie users like us.

3. While syncing I have set it to delete to recycle bin, just in case to fetch up if we notice some error while it progresses or finishes. That piles up huge deleted files to recycle bin.

Also, Windows "clean recycle bin" option cleans the bin only for system drive, whereas bulk files deleted in other partitions remain intact in recycle bin. I used to sync from E to F for last 6 months, and today I found 30 GB files lying there in F which were all files deleted by freefilesync. w8 or w10 never cleaned those bins while I run "clean recycle bin" several times everyday.

I guess just giving an internal option within the program to "Clean recycle bin" will help, so that we don't have to to windows clearing method.

Also, please give this "Clean recycle bin" option with each of left and right folder that we have chosen, so that if we notice there are files lying there in recycle bin, those get cleared before and after syncing, but we need to manually give the command to do so, when we are sure.

4. please give an option to exclude caches of all browsers. There are several browsers having different file/ folder naming methodology and disk hierarchy, and we can't manually add filters for excluding each one. cache files don't really add to backup.

So, an option to exclude cache of all browsers will help, can be automatically included in default filter.

5. When it shows 20 GB or 10 GB total size of mismatch, we get apprehensive that it will take long time, but when it runs, half of that is the files to be deleted from target, so that is done in a jiffy and actual creation of files is almost half, thus taking much less time.

so, please provide an option like "first, delete files from the target", so that what it does at first is to delete those files from the target which are to be deleted. This will be done quickly, and then we know actual size of files to be created, and will be comfortable seeing that much less time.

Thanks.
--
Rawat
India
Site Admin

Zenju

1. after we have synchronized or compared one set of [...] folders [...] We have to exit the program and restart it, only then it proceeds. vsrawat
What do you mean with "does not proceed"? Why do you have to restart FreeFileSync?
2. I accidently removed default filter vsrawat
You can click the "New" button to get a clean config including default filter settings.
3. While syncing I have set it to delete to recycle bin [...] That piles up huge deleted files to recycle bin. vsrawat
There's no need to empty the Windows Recycle Bin manually. Windows will do this automatically when needed. Also there is one Recycle Bin per volume, each of which is independent from each other and with its own quota. What you see on your desktop is just a virtual view of all volume-specific Recycle Bins merged together.
4. please give an option to exclude caches of all browsers. vsrawat
Such specific requirements are best solved by setting up the filter manually according to your requirements.
5. When it shows 20 GB or 10 GB total size of mismatch,
please provide an option like "first, delete files from the target" vsrawat
Not sure what mismatch you are referring to. FreeFileSync already first deletes files on the target before copying new or updating files. Also to be deleted files are not considered for the remaining time estimation.