Problem with write protected files

Get help for specific problems

thomasn1975

Few of my downloaded files somehow have the "read-only" option enabled.

FreeFileSync cannot copy these files: it copies each file to "<destination><filename>.ffs_tmp". The temp-file also has "read-only" enabled. The next step (rename the temp file, I guess) fails and FFS does not respond for a few seconds.

At next synchronisation, the temp files are deleted and the same happens until you remove the read-only property from each source file.

therube

What OS?
Are you sure the file attribute is "read-only", as AFAICT, read-only should not be an issue.

Possible that the files could be "locked" by by another process?
Maybe the 'T' (Temporary) attribute could cause issues?

Do you have the 'Copy locked files' Option (VSCS) enabled?

therube

Heh.
Nirsoft just put out an update to his, OpenedFilesView - View opened/locked files in your system (sharing violation issues).
Added 'Close Processes Of Selected Files'. As opposed to the 'Kill Processes Of Selected Files' option that brutally kills the process, this option sends a request to the application to close itself as soon as possible (using WM_QUERYENDSESSION and WM_ENDSESSION Windows messages).

Added closeprocess and killprocess commands to the /closefile and /closefolder command-line options, which allow you to close/kill the process instead of closing the file handle, for example:

OpenedFilesView.exe /closefile closeprocess "c:\myfile.txt"

Added 'Elevated Process' column.

Added new information to 'Attributes' column: 'T' for 'Temporary File', 'I' for 'Not Content Indexed', 'E' for encrypted file, 'X' for 'No Scrub File', and 'V' for 'Integrity Attribute'.
Might help.

thomasn1975

What OS?therube
Windows 10 Pro 64bit (no update, new installation from scratch) - maybe important: German version (but the problematic files do not contain any umlauts)
Are you sure the file attribute is "read-only", as AFAICT, read-only should not be an issue.

Possible that the files could be "locked" by by another process?
Very unlikely: after removing the "read-only", the files are copied. I tested this with 4 files in turn: every turn I unchecked the "read-only" on one file and exactly this file gets copied then, the others are not.

Blowfish64

I'm having this issue too. Is there any solution for it?