FFS recognize new files in diferent directory

Discuss new features and functions

EirasMozz

I have a folder where I save my photos from smartphone in my PC

C:\Users\EirasMozz\Desktop\Sdcardbackp\DCIM\Camera ---> Here I save the new files from my Smartphone's Sdcard... but manually.

I need to UPTADE this folder to my External Hdd... just save the new photos.

D:\MyBackup's\SDCard\DCIM...

So, in FreeFileSync, If I insert this directory, the software copy ALL PHOTOS again.... I need to be specific to copy only the new files... so, I need to insert this directory D:\MyBackup's\SDCard\DCIM\CAMERA.

Theres no chance to FreeFileSync to recognize the new files ?

EirasMozz

First, FFS show ALL FILES... with this directory
Print 1.png
Print 1.png (209.05 KiB) Viewed 908 times
Change only folder, now FFS show only NEW files
Print 2.png
Print 2.png (124.7 KiB) Viewed 908 times

therube

FFS takes the directory structure into consideration when it makes its compares.
And at present you seem to be compare a source with 1700 files to a target with 0 (I'm presuming).
But in fact most of the files are already on D:, only in a different subdirectory?

And the way you're doing it, FFS cannot handle it.

If your subdirectories on D: are /camera/ & /alltherest/,
if you compared c:/camera/ with d:/alltherest/, you would be left with (say) 10 files to copy,
& you want those 10, where, in some new subdirectory on D: ?
if so, perhaps after you initial scan, after those 10 were found, change the target to point to d:/somenewdir/,
might work, haven't tried?

On a one of basis, maybe you could get away with something like that, but on a regular basis, not likely to work.

Maybe FFS could implement a "FLAT" mode, such that only same named files are compared (plus new/deleted), regardless of the folder structures. That would relatively easily point out missing files.

But then you have to deal with just where the files are to be copied & also take into account duplicate file names (the same named file found in different subdirectories within the same directory tree - & that would be a tough one to deal with).