Only compare folders that already exist on the target?

Discuss new features and functions

nurbles

I really like FreeFileSync as a backup tool, but I often wish it was easier to back up only the (root) folders I want to my backup drive. For example, my media server has several directories of movies and shows that I want to back up, and several directories of other things that I do not. Right now I must back up one folder at a time or spend lots of time selecting (or de-selecting) the things I want (or don't want).

A filter that only checked root folders that already exist on the target would be wonderful!

Might this be possible?

Plerry

Simply use the FFS built-in include or exclude filter.
If there are more root folders to be included than to be excluded, use the exclude filter;
If there are more root folders to be excluded than to be included, use the include filter.
You can use the GUI to select and add folders to the include or exclude filter.
Make sure to store the sync (as *.ffs_gui or *.ffs_batch) when done.

nurbles

OK, there's a work-around, thanks.

Still, it would be great if the program had an option to do this automatically. I use my old (i.e. smaller) drives for backup so none of them can contain everything. It would be easier to be sure I don't make a mistake if the program had an option to only sync the [root] folders that already exist on the target rather than requiring me to create a bunch of different saved sync files and remember which to load (and even that I need to load it!) when I back things up.

52ROSt

Follow the explanations by @Pierry and especially to the last thing: Save your settings. I have several settings for synching several folders (never all) on to several HDDs. I click on one setting (which includes folder and drive information) and click "Synchronize". 2 clicks and FFS runs a complex synch task. Perfectly simple system. Simply try it.