Spport of NTFS Alternate Data Stream

Discuss new features and functions

Starwer

Hi Guy,

First of all, thanks for the great tool. This is the best back-up system I've tried, and it just saved me recently from a total disaster (my data disk broke down without warning) !

A thing I noticed is that it seems like FFS doesn't take care of NTFS Alternate Data Steam. This seems anecdotic, but ADS are, for example, where the icons for the favorites are stored in Windows. So after restoring my backup, all my favorite icons are gone ! Not a big must for me, but a definite nice-to-have !
I'm also writing a software where I was considering using ADS for storing files metadata, but considering there is no support in FFS (and other storage tools) I will reconsider my decision.
Site Admin

Zenju

FreeFileSync does copy ADS, but this will only work if the target medium also has ADS capability. Most file systems other than NTFS do not.
What favorite icons do you try to sync? Maybe this is caused by a different issue.

Starwer

Thanks a lot for this reply.

It seems that ther was an issue synchronizing together with Window Offline files. I didn't fully sorted that out, but I trust that FreeFileSync did its part of the job and that something got wrong elsewhere.

Good to know that it supports ADS. I didn't see it in the feature list of FFS. Another serious asset of FFS.