How to access a NAS drive from FFS from Linux (repeat)

Get help for specific problems

LateJunction

I asked this question some months ago but there was no effective answer, leading me to conclude that this might not be possible under Linux. But I'm going to try again: how do I 'find' my NAS drive when choosing which folder to browse in FFS under Linux?

zoe

There is a nice way : install a nfs share on your NAS, and then you can access it as a local folder.
For example, in my /etc/fstab there is :
[… … …]
synology:/volume1 /nfs/synovol1 nfs rw,noauto,nofail,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.requires=network-online.target,x-systemd.device-timeout=30,user 0 0
[… … …]
… and then, you can see the content of your NAS in the path :
/nfs/synovol1/

serendipityguy

Does your NAS have an IP address?

\\162.162.162.162\Path_to_Share\Share_Name\ to \\My_Backup\Share_Name\

LateJunction

There is a nice way : install a nfs share on your NAS, and then you can access it as a local folder.
For example, in my /etc/fstab there is :
[… … …]
synology:/volume1 /nfs/synovol1 nfs rw,noauto,nofail,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.requires=network-online.target,x-systemd.device-timeout=30,user 0 0
[… … …]
… and then, you can see the content of your NAS in the path :
/nfs/synovol1/zoe
Thanks for this; sadly it makes some assumptions about my technical knowledge which are not appropriate:
1. I have no idea how to install a 'nfs share' (whatever that is) on my NAS
2. I do not understand how to adapt your /etc/fstab entry to suit my Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive - even if I could figure out where the spaces should be and must not be in the text.

LateJunction

Does your NAS have an IP address?

\\162.162.162.162\Path_to_Share\Share_Name\ to \\My_Backup\Share_Name\serendipityguy
Yes, my NAS has an IP address and I use that all the time to access the NAS from every other application in my LInux Mint system - it's only FFS that cannot use it.

I do not understand to what value or where I should set '\Path_to_Share\Share_Name\' or '\\My_Backup\Share_Name\' These variables mean nothing to me.