When comparing two directories with multiple folders, FFS calls folders of same name equal when one is actually empty and the other is not.

Get help for specific problems

abby321

When comparing two directories with multiple folders, FFS calls folders of
same name EQUAL when one is actually empty and the other is not.

The test: D:\ has many folders and subfolders all containing files, except
for one folder. "Folder A" in ....\pictures IS EMPTY and same-name
"Folder A" in videos is not.

Result: D:...\pictures to D:......\videos comparison yields
Folder A's being classified as "Equal".

BUT, when compare only the two Folder A's to each other (rather than each
of thier directories and multiple folders), FFS says they are different and
finds that one is actually empty while the other has files.

Second test and result: D:....\pictures\Folder A to
D:....videos\Folder A yileds correct comparison and says the folders are
different.

Please try using FFS 6.2 on Windows 7.
I have tested this with Compare setting on Time and Size as well as on
Contents. If one folder is empty and the other same named folder is not
and you are comparing MULTIPLE FOLDERS (as in two directories or
sub-directories), FFS calls the two folders equal.

It only recognizes that the folders are actually diffrent when you compare
only the two folders directly, or, when comparing whole drectories, neither
folder is empty. One empty folder with multiple folder comparison yields
flawed comparison.

Please test and let me know where I am being silly/stupid or if your test
yields the same terrible error.
Site Admin

Zenju

Your observed behavior is correct, FreeFileSync will not consider child items when categorizing a folder pair, but only the immediate folder objects.

abby321

Your observed behavior is correct, FreeFileSync will not consider child items when categorizing a folder pair, but only the immediate folder objects.Zenju
FFS DOES list child items (all files in folders and subfolders) except, as my test shows, as long as one folder of same name is not empty.

The whole point of comparing and backing up directories is to know if files ('child items') as well as folders exist only on left or right side or if they are equal. This is so obvious, I must be missing something.
Site Admin

Zenju

I think the misunderstanding is that the equal sign for folders means that only the folder items are identical (= exist on both sides, same case), but says nothing about their child items. Or is there some other issue?

abby321

Yes, very big issue. If folders are actually not equal, FFS should not indicate that they are.

abby321

Consistency here is the problem? When the folders ARE actually equal (all files are in both folders) all files are shown in the columns below the folder name. But when the folders are not actually Equal, the folder name is still shown and any files that are equal are shown.

Same behavior, yet it was a different result. Very (fundamentally) different. So the display the user sees should also be different. Yet, currently, the display is AS IF the folders are again equal and this time they are not. On the second (unequal folders) case the folder name or a file line below it should indicate that the WHOLE folder IS NOT equal. The comparisons were different (one was all files equal, one was some files equal), so the results window should LOOK different...give an indication that this time the WHOLE folder is not equal, just some subset of files are.

That way the User would know when Folders are equal vs some FILES in the Folder are equal.

I am certain many average minded users such as myself have deleted a lot of stuff thinking that the whole folder was equal due to this inconsistency. Yes, if the User were to scroll through the entire contents of "left side only" and "right side only" he/she would find that same folder name and see that the two folders are not actually equal. Yet there could be thousands of folders to scroll through.

Why not simply indicate in the "Equals" window when entire folder contents are being displayed and when they are not? Or change the "Equal" term to "Partially Equal" Same for left and right differences column.

The crux is that in both cases (folder equal and not equal) the folder name is shown, this indicates folder level comparison IN THAT WINDOW. Yet, for true folder level comparisons, all results should be in same window. Or, if you are going to break the folder into three windows ONLY WHEN THEY ARE NOT EQUAL as you currently do, then an indication that the folder exists in other windows (when not truly equal) has to be made. Fundamental.
Site Admin

Zenju

Whether the categorization of two folders should consider their child elements or not, is not an easy design question. Currently FreeFileSync does not consider the folders' child elements.
The drawback of this design is, that like in your case users might confuse the "equal" sign to mean that all their child elements are also equal.
The alternative design considering the child elements however is not without different issues:

1. For each file pair that is different, all parent folder pairs up to the base sync folders would also be shown as different. This will quickly clutter the file list even when the user chose to hide the "equal" category with the intent to show only differences.

2. What view category should a folder pair with different child elements get? It doesn't fit into the default categories of "left/right only" or "left/right newer". Giving it an extra category like "different" complicates the GUI by requiring an additional view filter button.

3. What about the file exclusion filter on sub folders? How can FreeFileSync say with confidence that two folders and their child elements are identical when it only sees a part of the actual files due to excluded items? Therefore the user needs to be made aware somehow that equality considering child items says nothing about excluded items. In reality the folders might in fact be different and it would be a mistake of the user if he decided to delete the folder on one side because he thinks it's fully available on the other side!

It's possible there exists a better design than what FreeFileSync currently does, but it needs to at least solve these points.

abby321

I see, Zenju. Thanks. But man, a big loss of data (photos) to me.....

I still would argue that if folders are only partially equal, then when one clicks the Equal tab, a warning note could saying..."Remember, this is a list of FILES that are equal, other FILES in this FOLDER NAME may exist or be newer in left or right side views." Or, say, "FILES listed are equal. don't assume FOLDERS are equal."

Even better and more helpful to user might be a small column on left side of "Equal" pane that had a symbol in cell next to each folder name which indicates to user either ALL filese in FOLDER NAME are shown and are equal, or NOT ALL files in FOLDER NAME are shown and some exist only or as newer files in LEFT view and/or RIGHT view."

So, these warning notes would address your 1) and 2) above ?? Anyway, clunky, but could just be two symbols with meanings addressed as user scrolls over or reads help. This would stop the need for another filter pane or window you talked about. Personally, I would love the extra filter/window button to click and view only completely equal folders (all child items same).

But thanks so much for lining me out, I see where I missundertood what "equals" means. For me that button has been like one of those psych tests in which the image slips in my mind from being a pretty lady to a glass of wine and back. I get it, then I see it the"wrong way" and back.