I'm sorry to say, but the restriction of portable mode to the donation version now, annoys me

Discuss new features and functions

anthonym1229

Hello,

I was getting ready to update FFS 8.6 to 8.7, when I saw that the portable option had been removed in the program installer. That's a turn off to me. I understand trying to monetize the software, of course, but suddenly removing such a long-standing feature rubs me the wrong way. I can't even name another program off the top of my head that charges for its portable edition. I'm sorry, but this does not inspire me to donate. Maybe if there were a more compelling premium feature or features, I'd consider donating. I wouldn't know what to suggest off-hand, though, as I've been satisfied with the feature set all along.

I'm afraid I'll be sticking with 8.6 for the time being, unless some future update gives me incentive enough to upgrade, or the portable mode gets re-instated.

schnappi

Totally agree.

UB67

Totally agree.

d7c1d249a42d72

totally agree as well.

Lunix

I am sorry, but I don't get it. You seem to be saying you love the existing features, but you won't donate unless there are more compelling paid features. But you think the portable option should remain free. So, it's not a compelling enough option to donate? But you don't need to because you already have a portable version with all the features you like, right?

I use this software all the time, I am having difficulty with the RTS part, so I don't think it's perfect. I donated because it's useful. I don't deserve or want credit for that. But doesn't the developer deserve more than lip service?

anthonym1229

Taking away a previously free feature is the part I don't agree with, especially when it's a feature that's rarely if ever "premium only". I can't name another program off the top of my head that charges for portable versions.

merusso

The reason I won't "donate" is because this a malware bundled program and THAT rubs me the wrong way. If it was a reasonably priced paid for program I'd buy it because I like it, but I won't "donate" a dime to a sneaky malware installing developer.Quexos
My thoughts exactly. I really enjoy the software itself and want to support it, but I'm ethically conflicted because of the practice of bundled malware, and censoring of these complaints on the forums.

Zyxyx

Personally I understand that after so many hours of development to create and update such a great software (I literally use it multiple times every week) you look for a way to make some money so you can continue to spend time maintaining and updating it.

I have to agree it is somewhat unusual (weird even) to force it on the 'Portable' feature but, hey, it is a useful one and Zenju's choice after all. As we can see here, it will not make him very popular but is there any real alternative to FFS on that regard ? I don't think so. It is annoying, yes, having to install the software and uncheck the malware prompt several times rather than access or copy a 'real' portable version... but if I badly need it at some point, I will gladly pay 5 euros for a program which saves me a lot of time.

What I really don't like (at all !) and could be part of the problem here is the nomenclature used. The "Portable" version has not been a completely portable one since 7.9, just as the "Donation Edition" is clearly NOT about donating. It is not a choice you make to give any amount of money to show your appreciation and to reward some (undeniable) hard work, it is now a price to pay for some extra feature(s) ... which used to be free and that's never a good way to go if you don't want users complaining.

Well, I said my piece...

Zyxyx

schnappi

Been meaning to say this for awhile. Don't fault Zenju at all for the software bundle junk on install. It's an easy way to make some money and its easy to avoid install of the junk if you are intelligent and have seen it before (it is very sneaky how its made tricky to seems that its required for the software). But anyways again its an easy way to make a little money and the actual product is still free which is what happens.

In regards to the portability pretty disappointed but lets bear in mind that most open source products restrict features and charge for them. If it is truly open source (don't know the license would have to look) one of us with enough time could fork it and just always update changes in our fork while keeping the portability free.

Don't fault Zenju for charging just wish would not have.

schnappi

What "portable" version are you having the problems with?

My 8.6 version is totally portable. Sync it over rsync or SFTP to laptop. If move the the folder anywhere it (just confirmed) works too. Do you want a zip minus the last run, etc files?

If you deny FireFileSync.exe at firewall level that would effectively stop the update check on a given machine. The outgoing IP that you want to block is 66.198.240.22 or hostname: a2ss35.a2hosting.com. That being said the above IP or hostname may change at some point and may be able to look for updates again if that happens.

Agree that it is bundled with tricky adware/ malware. Would hate to ever forget to uncheck installing that junk during upgrade. That being said would rather have it be bundled with adware/ malware and be totally free. Unfortunately it is both not totally free and bundled with adware/ malware.