Batch task not visible in system tray anymore

Get help for specific problems

fritzmg

I have set up a FreeFileSync batch script to run minimized. I have also scheduled a task to run that batch script via the Windows task scheduler. However when the task is run by the task scheduler, there won't be a system tray icon (or anything else) anymore. Previously I had the system tray icon regardless of whether the batch script was run directly or via the task scheduler. Now I can only see in the task manager, that the task is in fact running in the background.

Is this a bug in FFS 8.8 or can there something else be done?

fritzmg

I have tried switching back to FFS 8.7, but that did not help. Could it be related to how the task is set up in the scheduler? I have configured it to run even if the user is not logged in for example ("Run whether user is logged on or not") - and this is a Windows 10 machine and the account is a Microsoft Account (not just a local account).

Though when I check the task scheduler, the process is run in the correct account.

When I set the task to only run when the user is logged in ("Run only when user is logged on"), the batch script does turn up in the system tray. When I switch back to let it run even when the user is not logged in (i.e. by saving the account credentials with the task), the system tray icon does not appear.

Additionally I have noticed, that the task scheduler is not able to determine when the task has finished, when I use the option "Run whether user is logged on or not". It keeps saying "Running" even when the task has long finished.

fritzmg

Still having this problem with 10.2 (64-bit on Windows 10 x64).

xCSxXenon

That process will change which account it creates the process under. It is more than likely running under system or administrator, which won't show on your systray

fritzmg

Hm, but isn't the whole point of "Run whether user is logged on or not" that Windows starts the process in the user's account, using the stored credentials?