Volume Shadow Copy Service is not supported on this volume!

Get help for specific problems

regis_1

I am using a computer running FreeFileSync to back up network shares that are hosted by another computer. I am getting the message:

Error Code 32: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (CopyFileEx)
Cannot access the Volume Shadow Copy Service.
Volume Shadow Copy Service is not supported on this volume!

Where does the shadow copy service need to be running to make this work? Does it need to be running on the computer where I am running FreeFileSync, or on the computer that hosts the network shares? Or will this not work at all?

Tomislav

I'm having the same problem.

To be more specific, I have FreeFileSync installed on server "X" and I am trying to backup files from specific folder on server "X" to a shared folder on a QNAP NAS.
Volume Shadow Copy service is running on server "X".
I'm running FreeFileSync from a scheduled task but I get an error if I try running it with or without highest privileges.
Most of the files are synchronised but I keep receiving errors for all files in a particullar folder that is obviously locked by another process.
If I run FreeFileSync "as Administrator", VolumeShadowCopy creates shadow copy and files are copied, but if I run the job from Task Scheduler, LOG file shows that some files are in use by another process and those files are left uncopied.

Can somebody please help me resolve this error?

Thank you in advance!