Overwrite new files with old ones: bug?

Get help for specific problems

freewill

Today I've encountered the same problem for two-way-sync (v11.29 - 16.12.2022) and I beleive I know the source of the problem.

First of all this is a SERIOUS BUG! In any condition a newer file(by date) should never be replaced with the old file(by date)! This is A.B.C. This is 2 + 2 = 4

The source of the problem for my scenerio is; I'm using synchronization over dropbox with 2 computers.
Thus for each sync there is a sync.ffs_db file created; and apperantly; freefilesync only relies on this file, so when you change computer; this file still be effective but the freefilesync thniks it is the same computer and same sync project is running.

When you delete this file; everything compares as expected.
I suggest deleting this file before every two-way sync.

This is unbelievable to replace newer files with older files.

freewill

I've read the topics two times. I understand you or developer do not call this as a bug, but that's not the real use case, keeping last movement vs newer file , you chose the last movement. How many of people decide to replace their old file with the newer file(i.e. extract from archieve) in reality. But this happens frequently when you work with 2 computers.

Your philosophy is wrong for the real world scenerious and I see you insist on prooving theory instead of providing a resolution. @4Words red flag was just nice solution just to close this case. It is not understandable developer rejecting making a warning for this case whenever this conflict occurs.

I wonder if yours named two-way sync, what is the name of most update file sync name? Ridicilous. Sorry not to be so nice, as you have been insisting that makes no sense, no resolution.

Plerry

There is a very simple solution in FFS for your use-case.
But it is not via a FFS Two-Way sync, but rather via a FFS Custom sync variant.
There you can select
for "Left side is newer" to "Update right item", and
for "Right side is newer" to "Update left item"
That may already be the default Custom configuration.

xCSxXenon

I've read the topics two times. I understand you or developer do not call this as a bug, but that's not the real use case, keeping last movement vs newer file , you chose the last movement. How many of people decide to replace their old file with the newer file(i.e. extract from archieve) in reality. But this happens frequently when you work with 2 computers.

Your philosophy is wrong for the real world scenerious and I see you insist on prooving theory instead of providing a resolution. @4Words red flag was just nice solution just to close this case. It is not understandable developer rejecting making a warning for this case whenever this conflict occurs.

I wonder if yours named two-way sync, what is the name of most update file sync name? Ridicilous. Sorry not to be so nice, as you have been insisting that makes no sense, no resolution. freewill, 07 Jan 2023, 22:31
I completely disagree. If I replace a file with an older copy, I expect FFS to perform a two-way sync and mirror that change to my other location. It's not a bug if it works exactly as intended, no? I would be furious if FSS decided that me reverting to an old file was wrong and then re-updated it to the newer one. What if the new copy is corrupted? What if you moved the old copy from somewhere else? Now FFS has deleted possibly the only healthy copy because it didn't perform a two-way sync, it just assumed newer=better. That is not always the case though

freewill

I completely understand your point of view, buy you guys dont.
All we are asking a warning message if the file is newer, that's it.
Notice that your scenerio is very less probable, then usual case. Usual case; the newer file is %99 of the time the most updated/valid one. Your scenerio is exceptional case.
I'm not mad at insisting on using a wanirng message for my self; as I will always be careful from now on.
But if you place this warning message; you just make it a better software, and you dont cause a night mare for other people.

4world

Notice that your scenerio is very less probable, then usual case. Usual case; the newer file is %99 of the time the most updated/valid one. Your scenerio is exceptional case.
I'm not mad at insisting on using a wanirng message for my self; as I will always be careful from now on.
But if you place this warning message; you just make it a better software, and you dont cause a night mare for other people. freewill, 08 Jan 2023, 18:45
@freewill:
I'm the one who had posted the original issue. I had abandoned this tool at that time when the developers et al seemed very defensive.

Considering modern high-performance sync/backup tools, available for free and open-source, this tool is a dinosaur today. It depends on the kind of sync you want but some of the ones I'm using:

1. Syncthing, https://syncthing.net/
Instant sync between my laptop and desktop 24/7

2. rclone, https://rclone.org/
Cloud sync with virtually unlimited features (CLI interface is a bit challenging but use PowerShell -- you can learn it in a few hours)

3. SyncFolders, https://syncfolders.elementfx.com/home.html
Much easier UI but less powerful than the previous 2
... and many more

Better switch sooner before losing your data.

freewill

But if you place this warning message; you just make it a better software, and you dont cause a night mare for other people. freewill, 08 Jan 2023, 18:45
@freewill:
I'm the one who had posted the original issue. I had abandoned this tool at that time when the developers et al seemed very defensive.

Considering modern high-performance sync/backup tools, available for free and open-source, this tool is a dinosaur today. It depends on the kind of sync you want but some of the ones I'm using:

1. Syncthing, https://syncthing.net/
Instant sync between my laptop and desktop 24/7

2. rclone, https://rclone.org/
Cloud sync with virtually unlimited features (CLI interface is a bit challenging but use PowerShell -- you can learn it in a few hours)

3. SyncFolders, https://syncfolders.elementfx.com/home.html
Much easier UI but less powerful than the previous 2
... and many more

Better switch sooner before losing your data. 4world, 08 Jan 2023, 19:15
I know @4world, from the beginning of this issue, I have the exact agreement with you, and I dont understand this defensive behaviour as well. I'll definetely check the suggestions you sent, thanks a lot for sharing!