Allow Users to choose Default Synchronization Setting

Get help for specific problems

gdhm

Hi Zenju :),

I know I raised this some time in the past when I requested the ability to set a new task's default Synchronization setting to Update> (instead of <Two way>) and you advised a default of <Two Way> is normally the safest option for most.

However, I personally ONLY ever use Update> and on the rare occasions I want a temporary new task or new task I sometimes forget FFS defaults to <Two way> for a new task.

This again today has caused me a lot of sorting out when I forgot this. Consequently, whilst accepting your view as on <Two way> is the best automatic default, please can I again ask for the ability for users to have an option tick or list box to chose a different default IF they so wish.

I am not suggesting FFS should not install and set initial Default other than <Two way>. what I am requesting is an extra User option to change that default to a User preferred default.

If this is not possible then may I ask, whether there is a way a User could set a different default by editing the FFS GlobalSettings.xml file.
If that is already possible, please advise what I need to change and to what to edit to for MY FFS to default to Update>

Many thanks
Site Admin

Zenju

You mean this one: viewtopic.php?t=1667

It's still on my todo list but doesn't have high priority. It has these comments, which I'll just paste here, maybe someone will finish the design work :)
Bind the "New" button to a special configuration named `<new>` on GUI similar to `<last session>` which is stored as a regular ffs_gui configuration, e.g. "new.ffs_gui".

There are two problems this solution could solve:
1. give the user some graphical interface to customize the default file exclusion list (currently containing items like "\System Volume Information\, \$Recycle.Bin\").
2. allow to customize the default sync variant: "two-way" is usually a safe default for users who don't know what they are doing. For one-time syncs however "mirror" is usually required more often.

Potential problems:
Is it a good idea to have all configuration items be customizable? E.g. clicking "New" should give a blank slate. Should folder pair configuration also be restored, or always set to empty?
How to restore "New" to factory default? Needed?

gdhm

You mean this one: viewtopic.php?t=1667

It's still on my todo list but doesn't have high priority. It has these comments, which I'll just paste here, maybe someone will finish the design work :)
Bind the "New" button to a special configuration named `<new>` on GUI similar to `<last session>` which is stored as a regular ffs_gui configuration, e.g. "new.ffs_gui".

There are two problems this solution could solve:
1. give the user some graphical interface to customize the default file exclusion list (currently containing items like "\System Volume Information\, \$Recycle.Bin\").
2. allow to customize the default sync variant: "two-way" is usually a safe default for users who don't know what they are doing. For one-time syncs however "mirror" is usually required more often.

Potential problems:
Is it a good idea to have all configuration items be customizable? E.g. clicking "New" should give a blank slate. Should folder pair configuration also be restored, or always set to empty?
How to restore "New" to factory default? Needed?
Zenju, 07 Mar 2017, 15:59
Yes Zenju that's the one.
I'll keep waiting until you consider it a priority worth doing

Thanks for response.

shai

+1 for that .. would love to be able to set Mirror to default as it's the only one I use.

huuurz

In my eyes "Mirror" is the most used option because regular people use FFS mainly for direct backups. Two way syncing is restricted to "the magic apple cloud" *rolleyes*

However, an editable default.ffs in the program folder would be very comfortable.
If no default.ffs is found, use the hardcoded defaults.