Is FFS Case-Sensitive with Folder and File Names?

Get help for specific problems

Radish

Could someone please tell me if FFS is case-sensitive with respect to folder and file names when it is backing-up files/folders?

Is "ThisFolder" treated as being equivalent to "thisfolder" (and other variations on the theme)?

Is "ThisFile" treated as being equivalent to "thisfile" (and other variations on the theme)?

And is there any difference in this respect when using FFS on a Windows system or on a Linux system?

Plerry

Case sensitivity depends on the operating system under which FFS is run.
In Windows, file names are not case sensitive; in Linux they are.
I don't know Apple, but as the Apple OS is a Linux variant, it probably is case sensitive.

Radish

Thanks again, Plerry. I'll experiment with this a bit when I get a bit more time. I'm on Windows system and just wonder if I rename a source file to "ThisFile" (making no other modifications to the file) and that file already exists in a backup but with the title "thisfile" then what does FFS do?

Does it detect that the two files are identical (save for the different names) and then just rename the (previous) backup file as "ThisFile" (without making a new copy of the file from source to backup)? Or does it just leave the already existing file in the backup location as being named "thisfile" (again not making a new copy of "ThisFile" from the source into the backup location)? Or does it ignore all this and make a new copy of "ThisFile" from the source into the backup location (deleting the already existing "thisfile" in the backup location in the process)?

Plerry

The simples way to find out is to try with a single file.

If I remember correctly (in a Windows to NAS case via SMB/CIFS), when the case of one or more of the characters in the file name had changed, is that FFS logs that the files only differ in file attributes,
and does not copy the file (left-to-right) or change the name to the modified case.
Site Admin

Zenju

FFS logs that the files only differ in file attributes,
and does not copy the file (left-to-right) or change the name to the modified case. Plerry, 10 Mar 2017, 09:15
It is categorized as a conflict, but one that will be automatically resolved by getting a sync direction assigned in "two-way" and "mirror" variants.