Cannot connect FTP: invalid PASV, partial TLS support

Discuss new features and functions

SolihullRog

Hi,
I'm new here, and to FreeFileSync. I need to connect to my son's NAS via FTP. I can do it with Filezilla, Chrome and Windows Explorer. But FreeFileSync always times out after about 20 secs.
Straightforward User/Password/ip address/port/with or without first level folder.
I can sync folders across my home network OK.
Tried FTP with firewall turned off, and all combinations of online storage parameters.
Any clues?

SolihullRog

By the way, it reads the FTP server and gives me a correct record count, but then won't display the folders.
Site Admin

Zenju

By the way, it reads the FTP server and gives me a correct record count, but then won't display the folders. SolihullRog, 25 Apr 2017, 09:31
This sounds like FFS is actually connecting to the server, right?

SolihullRog

It sounds like that to me...
I'm trying all sorts of things, but the following might have a bearing.
Apparently I have permission to two level 2 folders, but not to the root folder.
If I try to access the root folder (to which I don't have permissions), FFS immediately displays the number of records, waits 20 seconds and then just times out.
If I try to connect to the level 2 folder (to which I do have permissions), FFS says that it can't find the folder.
Filezilla complains about the FTP certificate but then continues to process as required.
One test responded that "Server returned unroutable private ip address in PASV reply".
Site Admin

Zenju

Is it possible to provide me with test credentials for this server?
Site Admin

Zenju

There are at least three issues with this FTP server:

1. If an unecrypted connection (= no SSL/TLS) is attempted, the server simply does not respond => Definitively rude and complicates troubleshooting for no benefit.

2. Your server requires TLS for the command channel, but does not allow TLS for the data channel: FFS currently either sets TLS for command and data or fails like in your case. FileZilla on the other hand simply ignores the failure to set TLS on the data channel, even if explicit TLS and *no* fall back was chosen => result: your password may be securely transmitted but all your file content is sent over the wire in plain text, visible for everyone who sniffs packets. Not very kosher what FileZilla is doing there IMHO.

3. Your server responds to FTP PASV with an unroutable IP. This is definitively a server configuration error or some other server bug. FileZilla works around this issue, FFS currently not, but probably should do so, too.