Silly bug in filters

Discuss new features and functions

Szyk Cech

Hi!
I have 4 directories on my desktop c:\ disk which I mirror on my router drive (usb pendrive).
And I have filters:
For include (in all directories):
For exclude (in c:\!-pro and c:\!-pendrive, 2 others have not exclude filters):
\build*\
*.o
*.exe
*.tar
*tar.gz
*.tar.bz2
*\release\*
*\debug\*
*.obj
*.pdb
moc*.cpp
*.moc

And I am frustrated because it include huge *.pdb files. New versions not solve this problem, so I decide register and to write this post.
Please fix this in next release.

thanks and best regards
Szyk Cech
Site Admin

Zenju

Try to simplify your test case. Then it probably will become clear why the .pdb files are included.

Plerry

If you have run the sync before without excluding *.pdb-files, that will have resulted in any *.pdb-files that existed in the source location(s) to have mirrored to the target location(s).
If you then add *.pdb to the exclude filter, any *.pdb files will be excluded from a next sync.
This means that any *.pdb files existing in the target location(s) prior to adding *.pdb to the exclude filter will not be touched or removed by a new sync, as they are now excluded via the filter.

So, most likely the *.pdb-files in your target location(s) were there before you added *.pdb to the exclude filter.
You should expect not to find any *.pdb-files there with a later modification date/time than when adding *.pdb to the exclude filter.

The simplest thing to do is to (manually) remove all *.pdb-files from your target location(s) (e.g. via Windows Explorer), re-run your sync and check that/if no *.pdb files have been added again.

Szyk Cech

The simplest thing to do is to (manually) remove all *.pdb-files from your target location(s) (e.g. via Windows Explorer), re-run your sync and check that/if no *.pdb files have been added again. Plerry, 03 May 2017, 07:10
I already did this few times by my own bash script. But it still copy huge *.pdb files...

Plerry

From your description it seems like you use multiple left-right pairs.
Also, it seems you are using local exclude filters (per left-right pair),
possibly next to a global exclude filter (applicable to all left-right pairs in the sync).
Make sure that the *.pdb filter entry/entries apply to the pair(s) in which the source (left) location
contains the *.pdb -files.
Or, if none of your *.pdb-files needs to synced, just add the *.pdb entry to your global exclude filter instead of the local one(s).

Szyk Cech

Or, if none of your *.pdb-files needs to synced, just add the *.pdb entry to your global exclude filter instead of the local one(s). Plerry, 03 May 2017, 11:10
If you mean "global exclude filter" == "root of filters tree" then:
I have the exactly same global filter like 2 sub filters for 2 of my 4 directories which are synchronized.

Plerry

...If you mean "global exclude filter" == "root of filters tree" ...Szyk Cech, 05 May 2017, 17:36
No, the global include- and exclude-filters are the filters that apply to all left-right pairs included in the FFS sync. The global filters are defined via F7 or the funnel icon at the mid-top.
The local include- and exclude-filters (if any are used) are the filters that apply per specific left-right pair included in the FFS sync. The local filters are defined via the funnel icon in between each left-right pair and apply "on top of" the global filter.
See also here

Szyk Cech

@Plerry:
We are talking about the same. Note: When you press F7 then it opens window called "Synchronization settings" (or similar - I translated it from my language). In that window you have tree of filters on the left. Root of that tree is the global settings ("main configuration" in my case), and every synchronized directory are just leafs of this tree. And as I wrote: I have the same global settings (exclude *.pdb files). And additionally the same exclude configuration for 2 of 4 my synchronized directories. And *.pdb files are still copied...