Is there any simple way to limit versioning?

Discuss new features and functions

cdt

Is there any way to limit the versioning to a specific number of "versions" or certain amount of days?

Currently I have versioning enabled with the path : "I:\Recycle Bin\%weekday%" . The problem is that I only need the last 3 versions of the file, and this way, if you don't empty the folder manually after a couple of days its size increases without limit. At least a limit of days would be useful, like "keep versions for ## days, then delete it".

Edit: This is what I say

Thank you in advance, and sorry for my bad english.

schnappi

Know that this is not really what you are looking for. But it would complete your objective. If you put the below in a batch file (prune.bat) and run it through the Windows scheduler every day it will delete all files older then whatever is in the script (right now it is 7) in the folder designated in the script (right now it is C:\Folder you want to prune). It won't delete folders (although it can with changes to the script) but it will be recursive (-s) into subfolders.

forfiles -p "C:\Folder you want to prune" -s -m *.* -d -7 -c "cmd /c del @path"

aldorex

Hi
I too support this request.. it should be not too hard to implement, yet it would be *very* useful.

Many thanks

Plerry

You are starting to repeat a lengthy earlier discussion in this forum on this topic.
But I agree it is still a desirable feature, provided it is implemented in a flexible way. E.g.:

Retain the last X previous versions (if any) and all previous versions not older than Y days.
By allowing the integers X and/or Y to be 0(zero), full flexibility can be achieved.

- Making X=0 and Y=0, effectively means: no versioning (perhaps obsolete)
- Making X=0 and Y>0, gives what @Lunamaddin and @cdt are requesting above
- Making X>0 and Y=0, gives what @cdt is alternatively requesting above
- Making X>0 and Y>0, gives what I would like to use.

aldorex

Yes, the topic is almost the same.. but since 6 years have passed, and the need is still present, I do think it is worth to bring the question up again :)

xaver

Hello, I am experimenting with FFS, but I can not found the settings page from the first post here. Can anybody please explain it? Thank you.