FFS Reports Finish although data are still being written?

Discuss new features and functions

msbln

Hello to everyone,

FFS without any doubt makes Filesyncing a blizz,
but consider the following most simple setup:

You have a harddisk and a SD-card. Both contain a folder you want to sync.
The sync-direction is from the harddisk to the sdcard, i.e. syncing from a fast readable to a slow writing media.
FFS hands over the sync procedure to the OS' "file system handler". The file writing is being done in the background and BEFORE having truly finished, FFS reports sync success. You can easily see this if your sdcard reader comes with an led activity indicator. The larger the amount of data to be synced, the larger is the time difference between the Finish report and the actual end of writing data to the media.

Before I realized that, it happened that I unplugged the sdcard with the result of a corrupted sdcard.
Wouldn't be possible to delay the Finish message until the OS reports back that the data writing is complete?

I'm using Debian but I believe it would be similar in other OS supported by FFS.

Has anyone witnessed the time difference too, or am I missing here something?
In case this has already being asked or solved, I'm sorry, it's my first visit in the FFS forum.

Thank you, guys.

Gianni1962

If you were in Windows you should use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the system tray before removing any writable support.
Is there something similar in Debian?

msbln

Yes there is, and it does the same. I'm not using it, if I know that nothing is being written. But in case of writing big data to a slow SD card without any activity indicator, the FFS Finish message is heavily misleading.
Sometimes I write images of live-systems to sdcards with mintstick and this software does report having finished in the correct moment.
In my case no harm is done and I have my lesson learned. But not everyone will be that lucky. That's why I'm asking, if it is possible to display the finish message not until the writing is fully done.