Mac OS X, SFTP, UTF-8 issue

Get help for specific problems

antaresfr

Hi,
I have an issue that I can't solve since many hours of research.
I have a Nas synology and a Mac with Sierra.
I want to backup a volume with FreeFileSync to the Nas. The Nas share is also mounted in Finder via SMB

There are multiple case for synchronise local to nas with FreeFileSync, none are good for me, because in each case I've got a problem
- Sync with Rsync in terminal and added option iconv to convert utf8-mac > utf-8. Files are ok on the nas, and all files are shown in Finder. But in this case, if I want to sync local to Nas with FFS and via SFTP for best speed, I've got a SFTP error on each file or folder containing an accent. Not viable. I can use FFS with mounted Volume without problem but it's slower.
- I clear the nas folder, and start a new sync, directly with FFS. I sync local to nas with same options as top, with SFTP. FFS sync added all files to NAS without problem. I can make another SFTP synchronization without problem. All files even with accent returns no error. BUT, all files or folder with an accent are invisble in the mount share in finder !!

antaresfr

I will try with a virtual machine in unity mode. If it works, It will "solves" my issue.

antaresfr

I have tested forklift 3 wich purpose sftp connections and synchronization. When we make a connection on forklift, we can choose UTF-8 encoding.
I have no problem to make synchronization with Forklift with sftp protocol between my Mac and NAS.
So i think there is a problem with enconding in sftp implementation of freefilesync.

Plerry

FFS does (at least presently) not support different code-pages for its left and right locations or different from the OS under which it is running, where forklift 3 apparently does.
That is not so much a problem with encoding, but rather a (present?) limitation in FFS.

antaresfr

Yes this is the idea I probably misunderstood because of my rather poor English :)
It will be probably a feature I can pay for to integrate.
It's really a problem when having a Network share used by Apple's computers and PC's. If I have datas in a folder on my MAC, and same datas in a folder on my Windows, if some files have special chars I can't sync all in the Network share without errors.
Site Admin

Zenju

This issue should be fixed with the improved path handling as of FreeFileSync 10.6.