Problem: comparison/update does not match files in subfolder

Get help for specific problems

guddy

Hi,
I just downloaded ffs hoping to manage the following issue: I have several new pictures on my USB- device and I want to update them to my hdd. As I am not sure, if I already moved them to my hdd, ffs should tell me, if they already exist in one of the subfolders on E:\ or not.

Source:
F:\sourcefolder with image2.jpg and image3.jpg

Target folder BEFORE Compare
E:\main folder\test with image1.jpg, image2.jpg, image3.jpg

path to compare:
E:\

If I now start the comparison and sync, ffs copies image2 and image3 to the destination E:\
WHY??
Both files exist in the subfolder E:\main folder\test (same size, same date, same name..) so imho they should not be copied! Sychronisation settings -> "update", no filters active.

Only if I choose the path E:\main folder\test for the comparison, ffs works as expected. But in most cases I do not know the target folder, so thats not a solution for me.

Thanks for your Help
Guddy
Site Admin

Zenju

FreeFileSync respects the folder hierarchy, so the files located in source and target folders need to correspond hierarchically to each other.

guddy

Ok, thank you. So maybe I should not try synchronisation tools like ffs to handle my issue? Are there other approaches or tools which ignore the folder hierarchy?

Any suggestions?

BTW, I really like the gui and functions of ffs - i will use ffs for real syncing.