VERY slow performance - FFS to Samba

Get help for specific problems

TimC

I am running the current version of FFS on Win7 64. I am syncing approx. 760G of changed files from a 3T USB 2 connected external drive to a Samba shared mount over a 1G network. The Samba share is hosted on a OpenMediaVault 2.2.13 host (linux kernal v3.2.0-4). The Samba host machine CPU oscillates between 5 and 20% CPU and approx 12% memory utilization. The origin host is running at 5-10% CPU and 75% memory utilization. There is no other significant traffic on the network.

I am seeing transfer rates in the 500-700KB/sec (yes, KB/sec) range with an estimated time to completion of 13 _DAYS_. Normal file copies using WinExplorer see several hundred MB/sec. xfer speeds.

ANY suggestions/hints/help are greatly appreciated.

T.

TimC

Sorry, I failed to mention that there are 11k+ files being sync'd. They are typically 4MB-40MB each in size.

MartinPC

DISCLAIMER: This is a complete shot in the dark from someone who is still a beginner at Linux, who is a rank beginner at Samba, and who hasn't yet used OpenMediaVault at all (but is considering it!). If I'm 100% off-base, I apologize in advance.

Does Samba on OpenMediaVault perform as expected with other "file-copying" applications, like TeraCopy or FastCopy? If not, there may be a problem with OMV's implementation of Samba, and it's possible that that problem traces upstream to the Debian release your version of OMV was based on.

I only mention this because Samba reliability and performance in Linux Mint 19.x is horrible. Mint 19.x is based on Ubuntu 18.04, and Mint's developer has traced the problem upstream to Ubuntu. Ubuntu, like OMV, is based on Debian. Is it possible that the problem goes upstream all the way to Debian? (I forget the details, but from what I recall, Microsoft made some changes to SMB and at least some of those changes weren't reflected in Ubuntu 18.04's implementation of Samba. Conceivably, that oversight went all of the way back to whatever Debian release Ubuntu 18.04 was based on.)

Anyway, since your post is five months old you haven't bumped it in that time, I'm guessing the problem was resolved by an OpenMediaVault upgrade. But if it hasn't, a bad Samba implementation in OMV is something to consider and test for.