Automatically update ffs_batch

Discuss new features and functions

Rom83

Hi,

I noticed that ffs_gui and ffs_batch are two distinguished concepts, for a good reason : storing what to display in the UI one side, and storing what to directly do in the other side. Those two different files can be read in Notepad++ to see their XML structure.

And yet, I have a bad feeling each time I must "update" the ffs_batch after having modified the ffs_gui : as if it could be done... automatically. However, I understand that the option panel opening when we click "generate the batch", is absolutely necessary to define how to setup the batch (popup, log, etc).

But :
- How about defining the batch options one time...
- ... and then, automating the batch update, without need to click on a specific button ?
- Because after all, the only thing that need to be "checked" is the path to save the batch ; but even this "problem" can be solve by saving the batch in the same folder as the ffs_gui by default.

So, here are in attachment some screenshots to illustrate my idea. Note how I moved the labels under the big buttons, wich are useless, to place the colums labels in the purpose to add checkboxes.
By checking the boxes, the user could mean "update the batch as it is already set in the option panel, each time the files are saved." (just update the copy pathes and filter rules and comparison methods).
Attachments
ffs_batch - After #2.jpg
ffs_batch - After #2.jpg (52.18 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
ffs_batch - After #3.jpg
ffs_batch - After #3.jpg (52.12 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
ffs_batch - After #4.jpg
ffs_batch - After #4.jpg (54.01 KiB) Viewed 1544 times

Rom83

And this method would not only avoid the multiple clicks to result in the batch update, but also the duplication of ffs_batch in the main list :
Attachments
2017-06-14_000008.jpg
2017-06-14_000008.jpg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
Site Admin

Zenju

I'm wondering, why not simply not create a .ffs_gui configuration and avoid the duplication?

Gianni1962

I maintain only the ffs_batch version that I can use also in interactive/gui mode without problems.

Rom83

Yeah, mixing the two files would be better.
Maintaining only the ffs_batch is a good idea, I think I'm gonna do this.
The only purpose to have two files with different extentions, seems to give the ability to launch different target : the ffs_gui opens FFS, while the ffs_batch runs it directly.

But the code is virtually the same (I compared the two in Notepad++, there is only one or two words/lines changing). So I would have the opinion of the devs on this.
Site Admin

Zenju

The only purpose to have two files with different extentions, seems to give the ability to launch different target : the ffs_gui opens FFS, while the ffs_batch runs it directly. Rom83, 20 Jun 2017, 10:12
Pretty much, that's the most significant difference and probably the only reason why there are two config formats.

Rom83

I'm wondering, why not simply not create a .ffs_gui configuration and avoid the duplication? Zenju, 16 Jun 2017, 10:59
Ok, I misunderstood this, and I didn't see you were the site admin : so, the idea would be to click on the "NEW FILE" button, to configure the backup, then to save it directly in ffs_batch ? It's a good idea. So if I need to edit the ffs_batch, I just have to relaunch FFS. Ok I'm good with it ! ;)