Bug?

Discuss new features and functions

dummy

Hi,

I experience a strange behaviour in FFS regarding the Synchronize (Mirror) modus.

I have a data directory (W:\Data) and want to sync that to 2 external USB hard drives (Y:, Z:) which are both connected and have the same directory structure.
First, I sync W:\Data to Y:\Data. All seems ok.
Then, I try to sync W:\Data to Z:\Data. Here, FFS does not scan the target drive any more and instead, immediately shows that there is nothing to sync (which is in fact not true).
When I close FFS, restart, and then sync W:\Data to Z:\Data, which shows up in fact several files to sync. But I have to restart FFS!?!

What am I missung? Is this wanted?

Dummy

Gianni1962

Me too.

To avoid the glitch, in the meantime, press first the Compare button and then the Synchronize button.

I have noted the same erratic behavior also without changing script, if you change or add a file in the source and then press the Synchronize button without pressing first the Compare button.
Last edited by Gianni1962 on 22 Oct 2017, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Site Admin

Zenju

push first the Compare button and then the Syncronize button. Gianni1962, 14 Jul 2017, 15:33
Doesn't matter: Pressing the sync button automatically triggers a compare if needed.
if you change or add a file in the source and then push the Syncronize button without pressing first the Compare button. Gianni1962, 14 Jul 2017, 15:33
Well, this is expected, isn't it?

Gianni1962

Should be like you say but in the two described scenarios isn't so:
pushing Sync seem to not do a real Compare first.
Site Admin

Zenju

"if needed" means it doesn't compare if the user already pressed that button.

Gianni1962

The simplest test is to Mirror a folder with few files.
Do the Sync then add a file in the source and press Sync: FFS doesn't see the new file.

FFS 9.2
Site Admin

Zenju

The simplest test is to Mirror a folder with few files.
Do the Sync then add a file in the source and press Sync: FFS doesn't see the new file. Gianni1962, 14 Jul 2017, 16:42
Yes, this is expected, since there is no automatic comparison after sync.

dummy

Ok, so this is wanted behaviour even if I try to sync W:\Data to Y:\Data and W:\Data to Z:\ (which are different hard disks btw)???

Because this is not what I expect a real sync software to do, I will probably search for another.

Thx,
Dummy
Site Admin

Zenju

Ok, so this is wanted behaviour even if I try to sync W:\Data to Y:\Data and W:\Data to Z:\ (which are different hard disks btw)??? dummy, 15 Jul 2017, 17:28
It is unclear to me what exactly you are doing.

dummy

I have a setup containing 3 physical hard disks, on all there is a Data directory:

w:\data (Master)
y:\data (Slave)
z:\data (Slave)

I just want to synchronize w: to y: and w to z.
I expect a synchronize software not to do this at one (I have no problem with starting the processes one after each other), but I expect that after syncing to the first slave that the software notices the changed drive/directory on the second sync trial and not just to act if there were no changes at all.

Gianni1962

Hi dummy,
take a look at this post:

Synchronize on two or three devices
viewtopic.php?t=4509