Loss of Windows 10 Briefcase

Discuss new features and functions

tquinn

I've been an avid user of the Windows Briefcase for many years. Unfortunately, Microsoft has just removed that tool from Windows 10 with the latest "Creators" update.

I saw a comment that suggested that FreeFileSync might be a good replacement for Windows Briefcase. But as I looked over the FAQs and tutorials, I didn't see an answer to my specific question. So here it is:

With Windows Briefcase, I could pick and choose individual folders or subfolders, and even individual files, from my desktop computer, and place them in a Windows Briefcase on a jump drive. This permitted me to only bring along those files I would expect to use for my work, hence allowing me to collect a reduced set of files and folders that would fit on my 32 GB jump drive (I have over 100 GB of data files on my desktop computer). I might put into the Briefcase some top level fully populated folders, and I might just bring only 5 of 20 subfolders that were in a different top level folder on the desktop computer. And I might just take one single file from somewhere down in another top level folder.

After collecting those selected files in the Briefcase, I plug the jump drive into my laptop to do remote work, and save all changes to the files on the jump drive. When I'm done and return home, I plug the jump drive into the desktop computer, and do an "Update All" to replace the changed files back to the desktop computer.

I can see how FreeFileSync might work if I kept the folder structure on the source drive (in my case, the desktop computer) exactly the same as on the desktop computer. But if I did that, I wouldn't be able to get all of the 100 GB+ data on the 32GB jump drive.

I haven't yet seen where I could use FreeFileSync to manage the "briefcase-like" subset of a computer's folders and files as I've been doing. Am I correct that FreeFilesSync cannot do what I want, of is there a way to get that done with this tool?

Plerry

You can define multiple left-right folder pairs,
and next to that you can use include-and/or exclude filters.
That might bring you close to where you want to be.

If you use multiple left-right folder pairs, you can use global filters
(applicable to all of the multiple left-right folder pairs) and/or
local include- and/or exclude filters (applicable per specific left-right folder pair)