FFS 7.0 - globalsettings.xml and show icon as medium

Get help for specific problems

sevyy

Hello,

Congratulations for this new version of FFS, especially the MTP device support.
2 observations :
- GlobalSettings.xml : I added some external applications in the <ExternalApplications> section. They all disappeared. Fortunately, I had a copy of FFS folder :-)
- As default PDF view, I use Sumatra. Show icons is "medium". Before, I had had the Sumatra icon for PDF files. With version 7.0, this icon disappeared. It's strange because icons for other filestype are still available.

Note : I'm using FFS in portable mode.

Best regard
Site Admin

Zenju

> They all disappeared

You think you found a bug? Reproducible?

> With version 7.0, this icon disappeared

Reproducible when switching between 6.15 and 7.0?

sevyy

For the 1st point : I did a mistake when upgrading to 7.0. No bug at all. Sorry.

For the 2nd point : it's more strange : (I'm working with Win 8.1 64bits)
I installed 6.15 (as portable app in a temp folder) ... and I get the same problem (show icons : medium & large) for pdf disappeared. It's strange because it was always ok (i do a lot of pdf sync). But if I launch directly FreeFileSync_Win32.exe, the pdf icon of Sumatra is always present (show icons : small, medium, large).
After, I installed 7.0 : same situation : with freefilesync.exe, no pdf icon if "show icons" is not "small". If I launch directly FreeFileSync_Win32.exe FreeFileSync_XP.exe, it's always ok.

I tried to change of pdf reader. Always the same situation.
Now, between my last use of 6.15 and the installation of 7.0, I had an update of MS Windows.

If you want, I can also perform some tests with an old computer running under XP or Win7.

I hope I was clear enough.
Site Admin

Zenju

So the pdf icon is not shown in the 64-bit versions of both 6.15 and 7.0, but what is shown instead? All other icons are working with FFS? Is the pdf icon shown in 64 bit Explorer?
Site Admin

Zenju

I made a few icon-related changes; does the following version show the pdf icon correctly?
[404, Invalid URL: https://freefilesync.org/FreeFileSync_7.1_beta_Windows_Setup.exe]

sevyy

So the pdf icon is not shown in the 64-bit versions of both 6.15 and 7.0, but what is shown instead? All other icons are working with FFS? Is the pdf icon shown in 64 bit Explorer?Zenju
Yes. Before the Win system update (begin of this week), 6.15 was OK.
Nothing is shown instead : the pdf icon is shown during 1 second and then nothing more. A white space. (I you want a screenshot, no problem)
All other icons are working in the 3 mode (at least odt, tif, html, jpg, xlsx, txt).
in 64 bits Explorer : I see the pdf icon. In medium, large and very large : a preview of the first page. It's the same for tif and jpeg (no problem)

sevyy

I made a few icon-related changes; does the following version show the pdf icon correctly?
[404, Invalid URL: https://freefilesync.org/FreeFileSync_7.1_beta_Windows_Setup.exe]Zenju
unfortunately no.
Site Admin

Zenju

There are a few clues:
> the pdf icon is shown during 1 second

FFS shows icon by extension first until it has the time to get the thumbnail. So it seems to be the thumbnail from Sumatra's PDF files that is retrieved empty, but without error.

> In medium, large and very large : a preview of the first page.

Interesting, maybe Sumatra has done some tweaking and this is now causing trouble...

Looks related:
https://code.google.com/p/sumatrapdf/issues/detail?id=2321
Site Admin

Zenju

I tested on Win8.1 x64 with the experimental 64-bit installer from
SumatraPDF

and the thumbnails (showing first page of the pdfs) were shown correctly in FFS as well as the Sumatra pdf icon in case the pdf is corrupt, e.g. zero file size. Are you using a different version?

sevyy

I'm using Sumatra 3.0 (portable). I had no problem with FFS 6.15 when released. I just check the logfile : a sync was launched on May 11 with pdf files, I don't remember a problem. When I reinstalled it (May 14)... I had a problem.

Now, I check my computer and found 2 updates on May 13 : a Windows System Update and Asus Update. So, I guess something happened with one of those update. Otherwise : how to explain that 6.15 was perfect until the beginning of the week and with a problem after those updates ?

I tried with other pdf readers : always the same situation.

I also found an former computer with Win7 : no problem in the 3 modes BUT there is no thumbnails. Always the traditional icons.

sevyy

I just installed http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/ and the problem is now fixed. The sumatra icon is shown in the 3 modes.