Error 64 while doing File Compare.

Get help for specific problems

gugliacanc

Greetings,

I've this "little" problem: when I start a scheduled file comparison, the program randomly shows Error Code 64: The network name is no longer available. (readDir)
When I click "Retry", comparison continues without problems. But I've to do this 20 or 30 times to finish to compare nearly 750k files.
No problem occurs with "real" File Sync since there is the option "retry after xx seconds".
Since files are in different places (different paths are connected via VPN), maybe there is a connection problem, but is it possible to automatically "retry" also in comparison mode?
I remember with version 9.1 this problem did not occur but I'm not 100% sure because I'm aware there is a little problem between networks.

Thank you for your attention. Bye.

DeShark

I have this same issue with version 9.5. I have a large sync I am trying to run and I cannot get through it without it stopping with these errors. I even have auto retry on!
Site Admin

Zenju

The behavior of not using auto-retry for the comparison phase is by design. The idea is the the user is available to respond to error messages during comparison (which should be fast, at least in contrast to the sync phase). Also, by far the most-common error during comparison is "folder not accessible/not found", which is futile to retry.

DeShark

Well the comparison phase I am running is at 25 hours and I have had to click retry many times. Each time I hit Retry it takes off again and continues scanning. The retry option needs to apply to the comparison phase as well. I obviously can't sit and watch this work. Each time I take a look at it.. I need to click retry and the clock jumps several hours each time. Meaning it is sitting idle for that time each time. Its a waste of time and this compare is never going to complete. I am at 33 million files and counting. It think the number is well over 100 million files.
Site Admin

Zenju

Wow, 25 hours? And creating a ffs_batch job is not an option?

DeShark

I will try it and see how that works. Thanks for the suggestion.

DeShark

Ok so far so good. It's been scanning now for 60 hours and has found over 321 million files.

DeShark

Does the file store need to remain static for FFS to work? The batch process I started is still scanning and hasn't started copying yet. It's been 167 hours now. Is that because the file store I am trying to copy keeps changing?
Site Admin

Zenju

Support for "auto-retry" and "ignore errors" during comparison has been implemented for FreeFileSync 10.3.