Mirror Sync - Create a Folder but Don't Copy Files into It?

Get help for specific problems

Radish

I have the following folder in my exclude list for a mirror sync (one-way):

\PORTABLES\SomeProgram\cacheV3\groups\*

In setting that up I was hoping that on doing the sync the folder "groups" would be copied/created on the right-hand side - but the files in the folder would not be copied over. However, when I try this as above I find that the folder doesn't get copied/created (to the right-hand side). I've tried tinkering with the rule but I can't get it to work the way I want it to work.

So, question is, how do I get FreeFileSync to copy/create the folder to the right-hand side but not copy the files inside the folder? What should my exclude rule look like?

Plerry

FFS only creates (non pre-existing) folders it needs to copy files into.
If you exclude all content of a given folder, FFS will not create that folder.

Radish

Thanks very much for the response, Plerry.

I'm disappointed to find that FFS won't create what would effectively be an empty folder on the right-side. That said, I'm relieved to see that the 'problem' wasn't caused by me writing a naff exclude filter.

I've got round this by putting a small 'dummy' txt file in the folder and writing an exclude filter that excludes all files in the folder I don't want to sync except my 'dummy' file. The dummy file forces the creation of the "groups" folder - and dumps the dummy file in it.

Thanks again. :-)
Site Admin

Zenju

FFS only creates (non pre-existing) folders it needs to copy files into.
If you exclude all content of a given folder, FFS will not create that folder. Plerry, 19 Sep 2017, 12:26
Not quite. FreeFileSync treats files and folders separately. The reason why the folder is not created is because the filter expression, \PORTABLES\SomeProgram\cacheV3\groups\*, excludes the "groups" folder as well.

Therefore, one solution would be to modify the filter so that it only excludes the contained files/folders, e.g. like so:
\PORTABLES\SomeProgram\cacheV3\groups\?*
PS: @Plerry: Thanks a lot for answering so many support questions! It's great to see them addressed so that I can focus more on bugs and improving the software.
Site Admin

Zenju

PPS: It looks like the filter syntax should be adapted to work as expected - as long as there's no major breakage - and have "folder" mean "folder + contained items" and "folder/*" mean "only contained items".

Radish

Thanks, Zenju. Tested and works as you suggest. Out goes my dummy file - Yippee!

I'd second your view on Plerry's dogged and quick responses to forum questions - at least he answers mine and with great patience when required. Great asset to the forum.