BackupWrite: Error Code 5 with sparse files

Get help for specific problems

rckmnr

Some files of various formats aren't synching. Filetypes that didn't sync include pdf, zip, and rar. This is not universal though, as there are many files of these formats that did synch. The summary calls out Error Code 5. What is this, and how do I fix it?

Gianni1962

Error Code 5 should be "Access denied".

Are you sure that these files are not locked because opened in the corresponding app?

rckmnr

Yes ... I am sure.

rckmnr

I tried to update again ... got the following (typical) error code;

H:\Downloads\Title of File.740.ffs_tmp

I also got the same error with different extensions e.g.

2c0d.ffs_tmp
99c7.ffs_tmp
It appears that the extensions are different on every error.

Gianni1962

Try disabling the antivirus.

rckmnr

That didn't help.

rckmnr

I HAVE IT!

Most of the files that didn't copy had attributes of RAP. "P" being a reparse point, which is something that was added to the file by the originating software. I copied those files to another folder. This changed the attributes to RA. I ran an update and those files synched!

A VICTORY OF MAN OVER TECHNOLOGY!

Thanks!
Site Admin

Zenju

P stands for "sparse file" and FreeFileSync is able to copy sparse files. Can you post the full error message? I wonder at which point in the process the access denied is happening. If missing support for sparse files is really the problem, it should be evaluated if at least the error message can be improved with more detailed information.

rckmnr

Cannot write file"H:|Downloads\Build your own PC on a Budget - John Mueller.e91a.ffs-tmp".

Error Code 5: Access is denied (Backup/Write)

This is a pdf document. There are other files with RAP attributes that sync well, jpg, text. It seems that exe and zipped files will not synch.
Site Admin

Zenju

This could be related to this thread where a Linux-hosted Samba share incorrectly advertises sparse file support it doesn't actually have: viewtopic.php?t=1650

I should be able to implement a workaround to detect these buggy implementations, but I need some more data.
Can you try to copy the sparse file with the following version and report the error message it generates?
https://www.mediafire.com/file/78j6yxpvpr82m6m/FreeFileSync_9.4_%5BBeta%5D_Windows_Setup.exe

Also, do you have some more information about what "H:\" is? E.g. is it a Linux-hosted Samba share as discussed in the thread above?
Site Admin

Zenju

New theory: I believe the access denied in your case is caused by a combination of sparse, alternate data stream (ADS) and the read-only flag. Writing the ADS would fail because of the read-only flag.
Site Admin

Zenju

If you are affected by the second issue (new theory), then the access denied has been fixed in the new FFS version:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ba932hkgacsq1n3/FreeFileSync_9.4_%5BBeta%5D_Windows_Setup.exe

rckmnr

Unfortunately, I have fixed all of the sparse files, so I have none available. H:\ is my back-up drive, it is not a Linux-Hosted Samba share.