FreeFileSync not responding

Get help for specific problems

franckM

Hi,

For the past week or so, FreeFileSync has got really slow.
I did update to the latest version but it didn't help.

The scan will start ok then it will slow down and the copying is really slow, it went from 1400Ko to 20Ko, and the window becomes not responding.
I am running windows 10

My setup is a bit complex, I use a VPN connection to sync 2 folders.
It is likely that something else than FFS has changed, since I had the same version for months without problems, but only FFS is affected, so maybe a windows patch is causing an issue.

Am I the only one?

Cheers,
Franck.

DerTomm

Hi Franck,
no, you are not the only one. Today - after upgrading from FFS version 6.x to 10.1 - I encountered the same problem. Mirroring the directory content starts normally, then FFS gets extremely slow until file transfer speed reached 0 bytes/s. Finally it completely freezes and has to be killed by Windows.
I also tried version 9.x with the same results. Temporarily disabling Windows Defender does not have any effects either.
Is there anything I can check - maybe a log or something?
Site Admin

Zenju

If such a perf issue were repeatable by running the same test case and two different FFS versions showed different results, then this might indicate a real problem.

DerTomm

Finally I found the cause for the performance issues: The target harddisk was slowly dying. Thanks to SMART I saw an increasing amount of sector reallocations. After replacing my backup disk FreeFileSync now works absolutely smooth and performant again. :-)