File export bug

Discuss new features and functions

revin

Running 9.2, but this might be in the latest version.

When exporting a file list, if the file paths contain a comma (,) the export file is borked. Upon importing into Excel, the commas in the file path are treated as a field separator. Please refer to this : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values

Fix: wrap all file names/paths with double quotes , keeping the field intact.

Old: C:\filename, with a comma,D:\filename, with a comma
New: "C:\filename, with a comma","D:\filename, with a comma"
Site Admin

Zenju

Fix: wrap all file names/paths with double quotes , keeping the field intact. revin, 22 Oct 2017, 16:03
FFS is already doing this.

Gianni1962

The Size column is exported with the comma as thousands separator when the value is greater than 999.

In that cases the values are wrapped in double quotes, but this is not a problem.

The problem is that in Italy the comma is used as decimal separator so the values imported in LibreOffice are wrong.

A solution would be simply don't separate the thousands.
Site Admin

Zenju

FFS is using the locale settings from Windows. So the problem seems to be comma being set up as the thousands separator.

revin

Now running 9.4 Build 2017-10-05. Export File list now gives me a file with no file paths?
Contents below.. yes that's the entire file. Just headers, no data?

Folder Pairs

Relative path,Size,Category (F10),Action (F10),Relative path,Size

Gianni1962

Missing to say I'm using 9.4.

@revin
Before exporting you need to press the Compare button to have, eventually, something listed on one of the two sides or both.

@Zenju
In my experience with Excel/LibreOffice/CSV files it is better to avoid thousands separator in numbers, leaving this formatting thing to the Application that will import it.
Eventually needed is the decimals separator, but is not applicable in our scenario.

revin

I hit compare and you are correct. Now I get an export, but the original issue is present. The file paths are NOT quoted. Here are the first few lines from the file. Notice the lack of double quotes.

Folder Pairs
E:\Kodi\TV\Last Man on Earth, The,\\qnap\qnap\Video\TV\Last Man on Earth, The
E:\Kodi\TV\Goldbergs (2013), The,\\qnap\qnap\Video\TV\Goldbergs (2013), The
E:\Kodi\TV\Mr. D,\\qnap\qnap\Video\TV\Mr. D

Side Note: Why do we need to press compare?? No where in the docs does it say to press compare. No where in the Tools menu does it say to press compare
Site Admin

Zenju

@revin: Quotation is only needed if the cell text contains the separation character (= which is either comma or semicolon).

@Gianni1962: The export functionality is a very basic "what you get is what you see", i.e. FFS just exports whatever is currently on screen depending on the visual settings. I'm not sure if it's really worth to invest much time into this feature. From the feedback my feeling is that hardly anyone is using it.

revin

@zenju Which you can see in the post above, is needed. Before each of the " The" in the fields above, you'll see a comma. Any idea if/when this will be fixed?
Site Admin

Zenju

@zenju Which you can see in the post above, is needed. Before each of the " The" in the fields above, you'll see a comma. Any idea if/when this will be fixed? revin, 23 Oct 2017, 12:42
Do you have specific steps how to reproduce? I'm getting correct quotation in my tests.

Gianni1962

The file list is correctly delimited with double quotes (only when needed).

Is the "Folder Pairs" list that is never delimited with double quotes.
Site Admin

Zenju

Is the "Folder Pairs" list that is never delimited with double quotes. Gianni1962, 23 Oct 2017, 13:28
Indeed. Thanks, Gianni. Fixed!