Two questions

Discuss new features and functions

jmpr

What is the maximum number of files a synchronization can handle?

During synchronization, if the "moved moved files" is not marked, where is the source information stored to compare it with the destination? Is it a temporary database in memory? is it in a temporary file? where is that file in Windows? May I change the path of that file, if it exists?

Thanks in advance for your answer. Regards.

Lady Fitzgerald

There appears to be no limit to the number of files that can be synced. I once moved well over 1TB of files (darned if I know how many files that was but it was several thousand, if not tens or hundreds of thousands). I prefer using FFS over cloning software or file copy software for copying data only drives from one drive to another.

I can't help you with the second question (I'm not sure I even understand it. Sorry!).

jmpr

Thanks you.

All sync software use a temporary file in drive or memory with the metadata of scanned files to make comparisons. In Dropbox or Resilio this file is in a hidden folder under user profile. I need to know where is located in FFS to change it to another drive.

Radish

FFS stores comparison data it needs in files titled, on a Windows system, "sync.ffs_db". It stores such files in the root directories of the folder/drive left-side and right-side pairs. The files have the attribute set to make them a hidden file. So if you are on a Windows system then in Explorer you will need to make the setting such that Explorer will "Show hidden files, folders and drives". Once you Apply that setting you will be able to see the files in Explorer.

As far as Windows goes, and if I've misunderstood what your query is, then you might find this information of help to you: Expert Settings

I think (and it is only think) that on Linux systems they stored in files titled ".sync.ffs_db". Again I think these are a hidden files and you would need to do whatever is necessary in the Linux environment to view the files.

jmpr

Thnk you very much. I have found them, but, shouldn't them been deleted after each sync? They are kept in the folders.

Radish

No, they do not get deleted after each sync - they are permanent files. You shouldn't delete them unless you have a good reason to do so. I do for testing purposes from time to time but then I do so from within specially created folder-pairs which I'm using only for testing purposes just to further see how FFS operates.

If you do delete them FFS will do syncing of the folder-pair from scratch and perhaps display behaviours that differ from those if the sync.fss_db files were still in existence. If you do delete them then FFS will automatically recreate them on a first run of the sync process - again doing it all from scratch.

jmpr

Ok, thank you very much.