sync.ffs.lock cannot write file

Get help for specific problems

trapeze4me

Hello,

I recently began receiving this error message:

Cannot set directory lock for C:\Users\ . . . \Folder Name

then

Cannot write file C:\Users\ . . \sync.ffs.lock

Error Code 5: Access is denied (Create file)

I tried deleting the file named sync.ffs.lock but I am denied. I am the only person who uses my computer. So far, I have just been ignoring the error messages. Is there a way I can stop them from happening?

Thank you

Gianni1962

Try running FFS with Administrator rights:
right click on its shortcut then select Run as Administrator, confirm.

markasanders

I am running Windows 10 and had a problem with my laptop that caused me to do a clean install of my OS and applications. One of the symptoms of the previous problem was drive write protection that I did not initiate, and I could not remove the write protection.

I back up 3 separate drives to 3 duplicate drives. On one of my three drives I am getting:

Cannot Write File X:...\sync.ffs_lock
Error Code 5 Access is Denied [Create File]

I have created a batch file for the 3 drives to sync. I get the error, but if I ignore, FFS completes the sync.

I cannot determine how to run the FFS batch as Administrator. I created a shortcut to the batch, but still could not run as administrator. I have set the drive giving the problem with full sharing capabilities along with all of the folders and files on the drive.

Could you provide any suggestions that might help me? Should I just tell the batch to ignore errors?

Thanks in advance for any help!

markasanders

I have continued to work on my problem and a similar post dated 14 Jul 2017 led me to solve my system error. Although I was setting device permissions, I believe Windows 10 Network Access was somehow preventing interaction with the drive in question. So, I solved it by following the path described in the error and right-clicked on that folder in Windows Explorer. Clicked on Give Access, Specific People and Gave "full control" to all users and now no Error 5 associated with the drive.

fosterrf

You must have the "Copy locked files" option enabled. I was having a similar problem and found that I had to use something other than "FreeFileSync.exe" in my scheduled task. Using "FreeFileSync.exe" seems to launch another executable in the bin folder. Only the initiating executable "FreeFileSync.exe" appears to have admin rights. I used "FreeFileSync_x64.exe" in the bin folder to solve my problem.

To run a scheduled task as administrator, you can use an account with admin privileges, or use the SYSTEM account.

sros

My ffsync makes a '2' version of the drive when it gives me that error. How do I fix this???

Avko

You must have the "Copy locked files" option enabled. I was having a similar problem and found that I had to use something other than "FreeFileSync.exe" in my scheduled task. Using "FreeFileSync.exe" seems to launch another executable in the bin folder. Only the initiating executable "FreeFileSync.exe" appears to have admin rights. I used "FreeFileSync_x64.exe" in the bin folder to solve my problem.

To run a scheduled task as administrator, you can use an account with admin privileges, or use the SYSTEM account. fosterrf, 25 Aug 2018, 13:23
I solved my problem that way, thanks
Attachments
freeFileSync.png
freeFileSync.png (21.53 KiB) Viewed 591 times