Cant find MTP folder on Fire tablet

Get help for specific problems

Severn2j

Hi,

I'm getting a strange error when trying to compare two folders of comics, one on my NAS (which is fine) and one on an SD card in a FireHD tablet, mounted on Windows 10. The error is below:-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cannot find the following folders:

mtp:\Fire\Storage device\Comics

If this error is ignored the folders will be considered empty. Missing folders are created automatically when needed.

Cannot read file attributes of "mtp:\Fire\Storage device\Comics".
Cannot read directory "mtp:\Fire\Storage device".
Error calling "IPortableDeviceProperties::GetValues".
HRESULT: 0x80042009, Facility: COM/OLE Interface Management
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can browse to the folder just fine, so FreeFileSync can read it, it just fails when I try to compare them.
I'm also running the latest version (9.7 Build 19/01/2018 - Unicode x64).
Attachments
FFSerror.JPG
FFSerror.JPG (38.02 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
Site Admin

Zenju

Are you able to reproduce this error (while Explorer works)?
Site Admin

Zenju

For the record:
0x80042009 - Invalid ObjectHandle
Indicates that an object handle does not refer to an actual object that is present on the device. The application should enumerate the storages again.

Severn2j

Yes, it happens ever time. I've screenshotted below, so you can see I can browse to it in FFS, but it doesnt "see" it when trying to compare.
Attachments
FFSerror2.JPG
FFSerror2.JPG (148.61 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Site Admin

Zenju

I'm suspecting that there is an error of some kind which Explorer simply ignores. Here is the WPD tool that gives a low-level view on the MTP device: https://www.mediafire.com/file/esuors6i88u1ahf/WPD_Tools_32-bit.rar
Can you browse to the "Storage device" node via "wpdinfo.exe" and report which items it shows there?

Severn2j

Image attached, I honestly don't know what most of it is telling me, but the error at the bottom is interesting.. I've removed the SD card and tried it with a USB adapter and it works fine, which suggests the FireHD isn't presenting it correctly to Windows.

Either way, its a tablet/windows issue, not a FreeFileSync issue. I'll just remove it and plug it via USB when I need to sync in future. Thanks for your help. :)
Attachments
WPDInfo.JPG
WPDInfo.JPG (216.94 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
Site Admin

Zenju

It would be interesting to see what happens when you expand the node "s20001", which is essentially where the error occurs for FreeFileSync. It should contain at least the 9 folder shown in your earlier screenshot, but maybe some other useful info, too.

Ship Shape

I have the same error on a Galaxy phone:
Cannot find the following folders:

mtp:\Galaxy J5 Pro\Card\Music\Music

Cannot read file attributes of "mtp:\Galaxy J5 Pro\Card\Music\Music"
Cannot find device "Galaxy J5 Pro"
I set FFS up this morning and everything went well. I have changed some files and tried to run it again, and I get this message. I can browse to the target folder(s), though it can take some time (10 seconds?) for the Explorer window to go from "white folders" to showing a manilla-coloured folder. At a basic level it seems like a timing issue, with it taking 10+ seconds for File Explorer to open the path on the phone.

NB: after about twenty attempts, I have just got it to work.

For the record, I did have to uninstall/reinstall all of the USB devices yesterday when I lost sight of the phone in File Explorer.

Any ideas how I might fix it, please?

wilfriedh

(redirected from viewtopic.php?t=611&p=23338#p23338):
I would like to debug my problem but
http://www.mediafire.com/file/i4rv1jds2ymj0ps/WPD_Tools_32-bit.rar
is not available any more.
Where can I get this tool? (Searching for WPD Tools I find only Windows Privacy tools.)
Site Admin

Zenju

Where can I get this tool? (Searching for WPD Tools I find only Windows Privacy tools.) wilfriedh, 19 Feb 2020, 10:39
Here you go: https://www.mediafire.com/file/esuors6i88u1ahf/WPD_Tools_32-bit.rar

wilfriedh

Thank you very much!
During tests I found a very simple solution.
I remember that there is a bug in the mtp drivers, to be reproduced like this:
Connect the mtp device and display the contents of folder xyz in Windows explorer.
Disconnect the device and move item abc from folder xyz to subfolder xyz/sub.
Connect the device and display the contents of folder xyz in Windows explorer: Item abc is still shown as member of folder xyz.
Having that in mind I displayed the root folder of the external storage card which I want to synchronize in Windows explorer as well as in the file manager on the smartphone.
In the root folder there was a folder starting with a dot, named ".jota+", which is not displayed in Windows explorer.
If I rename it to "jota+" (while the device is disconnected), after reconnect FFS works. After again renaming the folder to ".jota+", FFS again fails.
I am not sure whether this is the only condition which makes FFS fail, but currently everything is fine.
Site Admin

Zenju

If I rename it to "jota+" (while the device is disconnected), after reconnect FFS works. After again renaming the folder to ".jota+", FFS again fails. wilfriedh, 19 Feb 2020, 14:09
Unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce this behavior, at least on Android of a mobile phone. The problem somehow seems to be related to the leading ".", which Android treats specially. In my tests such files are simply hidden (just like on Linux by default), but they don't cause folder read errors.

Can you post the item properties (full screenshot) for ".jota+" in the WPD tool when the file is causing folder read error in FreeFileSync?

wilfriedh

Sorry for the delay. I am not at home and only occasionally can use my PC.

I created the folder ".jota" with the android app "Total Commander".
Screenshot of what Total Commander shows as folder properties:

Following, wpd-info of the folder ".jota":

And wpd-info of the folder after renaming it to jota (without dot):
Attachments
dotjota-folder-android.jpg
dotjota-folder-android.jpg (47.57 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
jota-folder.png
jota-folder.png (60.42 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
dotjota-folder.png
dotjota-folder.png (38.49 KiB) Viewed 1885 times