Manual deletion on one side - is it a bug, or am I missing something completetly?

Discuss new features and functions

Lares

Manual deletion on one side - is it a bug, or am I missing something completetly?

Hi there!

I'm here for the first time, so excuse me, if I eventually misbehave somewhere... I _have_ used the search feature :)

I am using FreeFileSync for a while now, but today I tried to use it a little bit differently.

I have an old 1TB HDD drive from my NAS, that I switched for 3TB drive in my NAS (cloned the content). Now I have a 1TB drive with old backup data lying on my desktop. I'm relatively sure, the new disk is behaving good, all is functioning, I want to get the old disk clear.
I want of course be absolutely sure, I'm not deleting any data, I do not have on the new disk, so I use FreeFileSync to make sure, and delete only data on the old disk, that is absolutely securely saved on the new one.

I start a comparison by content: a directory on the old disk versus the same directory on the new one (with eventually new files, changed file etc.) and get the results.

Let for example take the directory in the pictures. there are only exactly the same files on both sides plus some directories and files on the old disk (left), which are not relevant (some directories for indexing the content on the NAS, that are now visible, while I mounted the old disk as a external device).
Pic_01_02.jpg
Pic_01_02.jpg (424.36 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Pic_01: Compared by content. Identical content in 55 files. On the left (old drive) some irrelevant files and directories.
Pic_02: Showing only equal files and directories
Pic_03_04.jpg
Pic_03_04.jpg (326.23 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Pic_03: Showing only unique files on the old drive
Pic_04: Showing only equal files and directories again, CTRL+A (select all), right click, click delete
Pic_05_06.jpg
Pic_05_06.jpg (360.35 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Pic_05: I do not want the deleted files to go to the recycle bin (unselected it)

Pic_06: Ooops!! I end up wit _no_files_and_directories_ on the left side! I would expect to delete only the selected equal files...

Is that somehow intentional, or a bug? Or am I missing something dramatically?

Mat
Site Admin

Zenju

The problem is you selected not only files, but also folders.

Lares

Hmmm... I actually made sure, that I did not have any folders within the "deletion window" (Pic_05), that would be the ones with the fancy "@" sign in the name, as you can see them in the picture 03...

Or, if I mark a folder, is it like "I marked this folder - delete the folder and all files and folders in it even if there are "not equal" files present in it?

How can I achieve, what I wanted (I hope I described it clear enough)?

Mat
Site Admin

Zenju

You could set up a file size filter with a lower limit of 0 bytes (https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=exclude-items) or simply sort by size or by date and only select the files.

Lares

OK - I will try that next time.

Thank you!

Mat