Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10

Get help for specific problems

Arianne

Windows 10 has activated Controlled Folder Access, resulting in Free File Sync not having write access in my Documents folder. So far that is understandable.

I added the Freefilesync app as an exception to allow access, but no result. Even though for other apps adding this exception worked fine.
I was not sure if the Freefilesync also used RealTimeSync.exe, so just to be sure I added that exe to allow access as well.
Freefilesync app still has no access to my Documents folder.

I deactived Controlled Folder Access and Freefilesync works fine again.

I use FreeFileSync 9.8

How can I get Freefilesync to work with Controlled Folder Access?

fosterrf

FreeFileSync.exe and RealTimeSync.exe appear to be launchers for other binaries. Try giving all FreeFileSync binaries access, including the following in my case:

FreeFileSync.exe
FreeFileSync_XP.exe
FreeFileSync_Win32.exe
FreeFileSync_x64.exe
RealTimeSync.exe
RealTimeSync_XP.exe
RealTimeSync_Win32.exe
RealTimeSync_x64.exe

mgabriell

Running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit I only had to give access to:

FreeFileSync.exe
RealTimeSync.exe
FreeFileSync_x64.exe
RealTimeSync_x64.exe

If you're running a 32-bit OS you'll need to give access to the _Win32.exe files.

The .exe files are at:
C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync

The _x64.exe files, as well as the _Win32.exe files, can be found at:
C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\Bin

Breathe in... breathe out... repeat.

xCSxXenon

FFS should exclude the whole FFS folder upon installation, which seems to be the easiest. Luckily, I trust the software and dev, but not typically what I would prefer

mgabriell

FFS should exclude the whole FFS folder upon installation, which seems to be the easiest. Luckily, I trust the software and dev, but not typically what I would prefer xCSxXenon, 16 Mar 2021, 15:35
xCSxXenon, I'm curious to know exactly what you mean by: "FFS should exclude the whole FFS folder upon installation." Do you mean that everything in the C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync folder should be added to Controlled Folder Access? If so, why add everything if it's not necessary? Entire folders can't be added to CFA with one action anyway. Applications must be added one by one.

If you have a 32-bit system you add the 32-bit apps to CFA, if you have 64-bit system you add the 64-bit ones. That seems simple enough, and appears to be sufficient, unless you have reason to believe otherwise?

xCSxXenon

The FFS folder gets added to the exclusions list in Windows Security in my experience